Boxster S vs. C4S

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 09:11 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster S vs. C4S

Reprint from 996 Section:

I probably should retitle that C4S vs. Modified Boxster S.

I've been getting a lot of questions about how does my new C4S (completely stock) compare to my old Boxster S (modified) at the track. Well, here's what I've come up with:

The first question I invariably get is “How does the C4S compare to the Boxster?” That’s a difficult question to answer because I am trying to relay my senses of a car or my perceptions without driving the two cars back to back. The 996 certainly had more torque and more horsepower which allowed me to build up additional speed in the straights, but it did take me some time to get the feel for the C4S in the corners. The Boxster is likely the better balanced of the two and it is no surprise that Porsche went with a Boxster-like mid engine design for its new Carerra GT super car. If I had a recommendation for someone considering a drive at a DE, it would be to drive a Boxster first. They make excellent cars to learn in and with a few modifications can be very rewarding on the track, in some ways I miss my old modified Boxster S, probably because it has all of the modifications already done, something I still have to contemplate for the C4S. The C4S also has PSM (Porsche Stability Management) whereas the Boxster did not. As I grew more comfortable with the C4S, I found myself finding the edge of PSM more often and starting to get a feel for how the car was going to react in a variety of situations that present themselves on the track.

Unquestionably, if I was "on" the C4S was turning faster lap times than the Boxster S, even more so when it was wet. My Boxster S lap times though were more consistent, meaning that my variance was greater with the C4S. I attribute this to a couple of factors: 1) more familiarity with the Boxster S by the end of last season vs. first time out with the C4S and 2) the C4S has a wider performance range allowing me to get into situations I probably wouldn't get into with the Boxster. That being said, I don't see that as good or bad, but rather as room for improvement on my part, and room to experiment. I was able to power through a couple of situations in the C4S that I would likely not have been able to in the Boxster.

The Boxster did feel more tossable in the corners, but that was likely due to the modifications I made and stickier tires as compared to the stock C4S. At a minimum that should give hope to Boxster owners that they can have just as much fun as the 911 guys at the track and for 911 guys, I'd say don't discount the Boxster at least not one set up for the track. You can certainly feel the rear weight bias of the C4S as compared to the Boxster, but once I started to account for that and use it to my advantage as opposed to disadvantage, that's when it started to get fun. Again, that doesn't mean the Boxster can't be fun too, it is just a different type of fun, which really makes sense, they are different kinds of car, albeit both Porsches.

I'm still planning on making some modifications to the C4S for the track if everything works out by next Spring at which time I'll report my comparison of modified C4S vs. modified Boxster S. Until then, I'd say to those who are interested that you can't go wrong with either car, but I don't know if that helps you make a decision.

*modifications to the Boxster S included:
Headers, ECU reprogramming, EVO intake, 030 ROW suspension, sports exhaust, brake fluid upgrade, and a couple of other misc. items...
Old 09-15-2003, 10:49 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Thanks...Ken..opps,I mean..Ghost Rider
Old 09-20-2003, 01:47 AM
Turboflyer
Pro

What is the top speed on your best run with all the mods?
Old 09-20-2003, 12:01 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

What do you mean by top speed on best run? Do you mean at the track on the straight before I had to turn? If so, at HPT the modified Boxster S I had to really push to get between 120-125, the C4S got there without mods or really hanging it out there. As for total top speed, I have no idea, I never took it to the salt flats... if you mean 1/4 mile drag race, I never took it to a 1/4 mile drag strip to have it timed...
Old 07-01-2009, 04:40 PM
jimmy2times
1st Gear

I've got a 2008 C4S. I've seen the S insignia on the back of the car in red, but I can't figure out where to buy it. I tried Porsche, but it's an aftermarket script. Any idea where I can buy it?
Jimmy
Old 07-01-2009, 05:11 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmy2times
I've got a 2008 C4S. I've seen the S insignia on the back of the car in red, but I can't figure out where to buy it. I tried Porsche, but it's an aftermarket script. Any idea where I can buy it?
Jimmy
www.bumperplugs.com has them. Find under the "order" tab.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:28 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice write up
Old 07-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

OK I think I have your profile, so when you get back from the salt flats lets us know what the top speed is. I did not qualify how you got there, or which gear you were in, or if you were using racing fuel or if you were wearing a helmet, or if you were alone in the car or if you had a head wind.

Quick Reply: Boxster S vs. C4S