Rattle/knock in front end - 2000 Box S

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 10:35 PM
Argeo
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 155 Posts
Default Rattle/knock in front end - 2000 Box S

Hi,

My car has an annoying knock/rattle in the front over bumps. I did the 6 and 12 oclock and 3 and 9 oclock shake with the car on jacks. No play at all. I also check the ball joints, they seem fine. I replace sway bar bushings but noise still there. Don't feel rattle in steering and drives straight. Steering is tight, no play at all. I turn the wheels at at dead stop, no strange noises. I did notice the strut bumper was missing on one side and the other as in terrible shape. Missing chunks. I pulled the spare also and tighten bolt, noise still there. Car is not bottoming out. I stood in trunk and jumped up and down, doesn't oscilliate (not sure the spelling).

The rear were replaced about 3k ago by previous owner. Car has almost 49k.

Any guess what it could be. I bought new struts, mounting plates, bearings, and strut bumpers which I have not yet installed. Could it be the radiator (radiators) are rattling? What else would rattle/knock in the front. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

David
Old 06-04-2015, 04:58 AM
Stephen Tinker
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

1) Lower wishbones tend to rattle over corrugations.
2) Track rod arms.
3) Steering rods.
In that order - ask me how I know after chasing the rattles and selectively replacing the parts.
You wont be able to detect the wear with the parts still in place on the car.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:16 PM
Argeo
Burning Brakes

Hi Steve,

Thanks for responding. How many miles on your car?

Thanks for responding,

David
Old 06-06-2015, 04:28 AM
Stephen Tinker
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

About 85,000km (50,000 miles) when I first noticed the rattle on washboard roads. I originally thought it was the steering rods because I could feel the rattle through the steering wheel, but after replacing them it was still noisy.
The problem is that when the car is on stands & the suspension hanging, no amount of twisting, pulling, pushing or hitting makes a damn bit of good - it really is a trial and error t locate the wear, but with hindsight I would change out the lower wishbones (also known as coffin arms because of their shape) and the transverse track rod arms which connect the wishbones to the chassis.
That's assuming the shocks and upper shock mounts / bearings are not worn too.... If you are replacing the struts its a good time to look into replacing the wishbones & arms too.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:06 AM
Argeo
Burning Brakes

50k, just about where I am or mileage. Well I guess I will just replace the struts, mounts, bearings and bumpers for now (since I already bought this stuff) and if it still exists, put the fix on hold until the winter. I am spent for a while.

Thanks again for responding.

David
Old 06-06-2015, 10:49 AM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

struts

Quick Reply: Rattle/knock in front end - 2000 Box S