Sponsored by:

thinking of buying a boxter

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 04:16 PM
2 EURO
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile thinking of buying a boxter

Any particular year to get. Someone told me to get 00 and up for the 2.7 engine? how are the 2.5's? Are they worth it. The reason I ask is that i've seen great prices for the 2.5!

If anyone can shed some light i'd appriciate it.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:56 PM
2 EURO
Track Day

no responses?
Old 09-08-2003, 07:57 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

There's a '99 (they're 2.5's, right?) in our club that kicks booty over the new 2.7's at our autocrosses. So it's all a matter of driver skill. So if the prices seem more reasonable to you go for the 2.5. It'll also be a lot easier on your nerves when you decide to stripe it and track it .
Old 09-09-2003, 09:20 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a '99. I love it. (I don't track it or anything..yet.) As with any Porsche, I think the best car to buy is the newest, and Boxsters have certainly improved since inception, particularly in the way of fit and finish. But there are some great bargains to be had on the early 2.5 cars, which are fine machines. Be sure to get a thorough PPI done, but otherwise they should be very reliable and enjoyable cars to own.

Do a search or take some time to go back through these posts...there are many topics discussing the +s and -s of the 2.5 motor cars.

Good luck!
Old 09-09-2003, 01:35 PM
2 EURO
Track Day

Thanks for the reply. I'll definately take my time in choosing a boxster.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:37 AM
EricT
Intermediate

Same dillema for me. I'm shopping too, and am looking at a '99 vs. an '00. An independent dealer close to me has an '03, I'm going to drive it to compare to the '99 I drove before. Then I can decide if the extra 0.2L is worth another $3k or so. One thing I do like about the '00+ is the shift **** is much cooler
Old 09-11-2003, 03:09 AM
2 EURO
Track Day

I agree... Let me know how the test drive goes.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:39 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

The '03 will have a better intrior finish, not just the shift ****. Keep in mind, you can upgrade shift ***** and other misc parts, but not the overall finish quality of the interior.

The only thing I think you'll find with the '00 and newer cars is the e-gas softens the throttle response just a little. If you're not used to the older cars, it may not make a difference. But the first Boxster I drove this spring was an '00 and I had a hard time adjusting for heel-and-toe downshifts. Of course, I was driving a WRX at the time that is almost impossible to hee-and-toe....
Old 09-11-2003, 12:41 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

OT: Hey Doug, do you have pedal pads (I think that's what they are called?) to help with your heel-toeing? Or do you just have the stock pedals? I've been thinking about getting some, but A) I don't know if they would be useful, and B) The only decent ones I've seen are the Fabcar ones.

Sorry, I know this is off topic but I your comments about heel-and-toe reminded me.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:56 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike my pedals are stock. I suppose there might be a better set up out there, but if you consider where I came from (WRX, older 911s), in the heel-and-toe department the Boxster is already miles ahead.

I will say one of the big problems I had with my WRX was the aluminum pedals with little rubber pads that were supposed to help with grip. But they were too small to be of consequence and the polished aluminum pedals just made my feet slip right off when I rotated my ankle. So if you decide to go with alum pedals, be sure they have enough "grip" to them.

Quick Reply: thinking of buying a boxter