Sponsored by:

986 misfires, no idle.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 03:17 AM
cheese
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 986 misfires, no idle.

So after a mild crash my Boxster has been repaired. Sitting since November, it will not idle, though it starts well. Will not run properly and is backfiring. I cleaned the air filter, installed new plugs, cleaned the icv with MAF spray, and checked fuel pressure (it is at spec). 198,000 miles. Added 5 gallons of fresh fuel and a can of Seafoam which was suggested by an indie garage. Going to try cleaning the MAF next, but what is my next step? Thank you
Old 03-10-2015, 04:26 AM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

unplug the MAF, let it idle a few minutes then try to drive it.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:38 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by cheese
So after a mild crash my Boxster has been repaired. Sitting since November, it will not idle, though it starts well. Will not run properly and is backfiring. I cleaned the air filter, installed new plugs, cleaned the icv with MAF spray, and checked fuel pressure (it is at spec). 198,000 miles. Added 5 gallons of fresh fuel and a can of Seafoam which was suggested by an indie garage. Going to try cleaning the MAF next, but what is my next step? Thank you
What portion of the car was damaged in the crash? Define a "mild crash".

Is the CEL on? Even if it is not you should read the the OBD2 error codes, checking for any active ones (in case the CEL light bulb is burned out) or any pending ones.

If there are any active/pending codes post as they can help in the diagnosis.

If the car is equipped with the E-Gas try a re-calibration of the E-Gas system.

IIRC the steps are with the key off and your foot *off* the gas pedal turn the key to the on position. Leave the key on for 60 seconds. Then turn the key off for at least 10 seconds. Done.

You already considered stale gas. Be sure the battery is fully charged and good. If the battery was allowed to discharge while the car was off the road the battery probably needs to be replaced. Lead/acid batteries do not handle full discharges well.

Give the car, the engine, a thorough inspection for rodent damage. You can expose the engine and check it from above, looking for any rodent sign on top of the engine. You can get the car in the air and check for rodent sign from under the car. Look on top of the underbody panels for rodent litter. Look in the cabin for bare spots of carpet. Rodents like to also gnaw the plastic lines that carry fuel vapor from the tank to the engine (at least until a hole is chewed into this then when the creature gets a snoot full of gasoline fumes he never goes back to the line), the thick rubber sheeting that forms the radiator ducts, any plastic tubing in the engine compartment, including air box and intake tubing and wiring harness.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:57 PM
cheese
AutoX

Mild crash... Emergency avoidance of a potential bigger wreck. Very sharp turn onto a side road, downgrade road surface, spinout. Small tree saved a flip-over but took out the passenger side radiator, headlight, fender and bumper cover. I enjoy doing as much work on my car as I can whenever needed, which isn't often. Seems like the engine stalled twice in the mile I drove after the tree climb incident. Battery replaced but have needed to charge it.

Last edited by cheese; 03-10-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:18 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

have a shop,not the one that said to add sea foam,put a pro scan tool on the car
Old 03-11-2015, 11:54 AM
Macster
Race Director

Mild crash... Emergency avoidance of a potential bigger wreck. Very sharp turn onto a side road, downgrade road surface, spinout. Small tree saved a flip-over but took out the passenger side radiator, headlight, fender and bumper cover. I enjoy doing as much work on my car as I can whenever needed, which isn't often. Seems like the engine stalled twice in the mile I drove after the tree climb incident. Battery replaced but have needed to charge it.
Well, just a heads up: The fuel vapor recovery system is located under the passenger front fender. When I hit a mule deer with my Turbo the front fender was of course ruined but there was a lot of damage to the vapor recovery stuff under the front fender. Just above everything under the front fender was damage and had to be replaced.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:37 PM
cheese
AutoX

Thank you every one and all for chiming in. It was the MAF! I have had MAF trouble twice in the past but it was never like this.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:39 PM
cheese
AutoX

Thank you every one and all for chiming in. It was the MAF! I have had MAF trouble twice in the past but it was never like this.
See my avatar? Happy Saint Patrick's Day! What does everyone think of the Viper Grûn coat? Be well, arrive safely, have fun.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:35 AM
Macster
Race Director

See my avatar? Happy Saint Patrick's Day! What does everyone think of the Viper Grûn coat? Be well, arrive safely, have fun.
Glad to read you got it sorted. A bad MAF is a simple fix provided of course it truly is the MAF.

Green looks very nice. Is that your Boxster? That's not a factory paint color for your year of car so you must have had it painted. Nice color and the black wheels are sweet.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:00 AM
cheese
AutoX

Originally Posted by Macster
Glad to read you got it sorted. A bad MAF is a simple fix provided of course it truly is the MAF.

Green looks very nice. Is that your Boxster? That's not a factory paint color for your year of car so you must have had it painted. Nice color and the black wheels are sweet.
Thank you, yes this one is mine. Viper green. A color from 1973. Originally arctic silver.

Quick Reply: 986 misfires, no idle.