Sponsored by:

Please chime in with your wheel set up

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 01:34 PM
Lovetheporsche
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please chime in with your wheel set up

Hey everyone. I am in the market for some rims and tires for my Boxster. I am curious about what route you guys went when changing out your stock wheels.

I was told by a buddy of mine that owns a Firestone type shop that anything over 18 inches would cause me issues with rubbing, handling etc. Granted he is not a Porsche dealer he seems confident in the size limitations.

I have been researching rims, sizes, makes and models and I see that many Boxster owners have 19 inch rims. I initially was going to plasti-dip my stock wheels but I know me too well and I am not so sure I will be happy with that in the long run.

I am inches from pushing the button on these rims at this link
Amazon.com: 19 Inch Black Mesh Wheels Rims fit Porsche Cayman 911 Carrera Boxster: Automotive Amazon.com: 19 Inch Black Mesh Wheels Rims fit Porsche Cayman 911 Carrera Boxster: Automotive

I wanted to get you guys opinion on this rim. Personally I think the 19 inch rims look great on the Boxster model. I am by far no wheel expert so that's why I need your help. Is it best to have a wider rim/tire on the rears or be consistent all the way around??

I hope I get a lot of input from you guys on how you went about changing out your stock rims. Also your thoughts on the rim I have posted the link to. My Boxster is black so I do like the idea of a black/chrome combo in appearance.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:38 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,519 Posts

On a 986 stick with 18s for the best combination of ride comfort, handling, style/design and tire cost/selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 02-28-2015, 02:02 PM
Lovetheporsche
AutoX

Default Good to know

Originally Posted by LexVan
On a 986 stick with 18s for the best combination of ride comfort, handling, style/design and tire cost/selection.

Ahhh so maybe my buddy is right then with not going above 18's.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:24 AM
evifenocvt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think 19's are too much wheel for 986's and plasti dip looks terrible, even if its applied perfectly... just me but i like shiny wheels.

i have a set of RH 3.6 3 piece wheels on mine. the offsets are aggressive, i think 18x10 ET 45 in the rears which push it quite flush to the fender, but no spacers required which is nice and you get a deep dish/ lip. for me, its the perfect look. you can go 265-285 in the rear without rub but you might have to get it aligned to fit, lots of neg camber.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:52 AM
Lovetheporsche
AutoX

Originally Posted by evifenocvt
i think 19's are too much wheel for 986's and plasti dip looks terrible, even if its applied perfectly... just me but i like shiny wheels.

i have a set of RH 3.6 3 piece wheels on mine. the offsets are aggressive, i think 18x10 ET 45 in the rears which push it quite flush to the fender, but no spacers required which is nice and you get a deep dish/ lip. for me, its the perfect look. you can go 265-285 in the rear without rub but you might have to get it aligned to fit, lots of neg camber.

Thanks for the advice. That was my concern about the plasti-dip idea. I too like some shine on the wheels. Needless to say I have basically chalked the plasti-dip idea. I am now on the prowl for rims and tires finding some pretty nice ones on ebay but I just can not decide.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:35 PM
Robert Adams
Intermediate

I just recently made a decision to keep my stock wheel setup. The main reason was cost of replacing tires. I plan on taking a performance driving course at willow springs and I know I will be going through tires pretty quick. I may sill put 18s on in the future. I have not driven performance cars since the early 80s. At that time I had a 1968 GT350 Shelby Mustang. I sold it to pay for college. Now I have a 2000 Boxster S. I just put on POTENZA RE-11FRONT 205/50R17 93W
Rear:
255/40R17 94W
The car is still at truspeed and I have not had a chance to drive it with the new tires.
Try looking at tire rack and see what they recommend. Good luck Bob

Old 03-03-2015, 12:54 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Unsprung mass = VERY bad mass, (bad mass, not bad ...!) ..so, my old BS is : OZ Racing Alleggerita :

Btw, if you want my tires, I would be happy to sell these (hand cook (sorry, Hankook, I think !) v12 evo), as I want to go Maxxis RC-1 or Nitto NT01.

Quick Reply: Please chime in with your wheel set up