Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spoiler & Keyfob trunk release both stopped working.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 06:06 PM
aowolf
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spoiler & Keyfob trunk release both stopped working.

Any possible link here? The Spoiler won't move up or down and the key fob command to open the rear trunk unlocks the car but not the trunk.

Happened last Saturday on our first snowy day here in Seattle. I have had spoiler issues in the past when its been cold but they have cleared up, and it never froze in place before.

Spoiler Fuse is good, I can't hear any mechanical noise when I try to raise or lower it.

~215,000k
Old 12-06-2014, 08:59 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by aowolf
Any possible link here? The Spoiler won't move up or down and the key fob command to open the rear trunk unlocks the car but not the trunk.

Happened last Saturday on our first snowy day here in Seattle. I have had spoiler issues in the past when its been cold but they have cleared up, and it never froze in place before.

Spoiler Fuse is good, I can't hear any mechanical noise when I try to raise or lower it.

~215,000k
Any chance the spoiler and rear trunk lid are just frozen? When the car has been parked out in the snow and freezing rain I've had side windows freeze in place and fail to drop when I opened the door. A gentle rocking with some down pressure concurrent with pressing the down button frees the windows.

IIRC the spoiler has two relays. If the up relay is not working the spoiler won't go up (natch). But you won't hear it and it won't react if you try to lower it since the limit switch signals the spoiler is fully retracted.

The lid latch can be bad. You should hear the latch when you work the button. Do you have an inside the car button to release the rear trunk lid? If have someone work that while you give a listen. If you hear nothing the latch solenoid could be bad. They wear out and with 215000k on the car your car's latch could be due.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:03 PM
aowolf
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been in the mid 40s for a few days and the car has gotten warm enough to melt any ice. The in cabin trunk latch works just fine. I'm leaning towards the relay.

Quick Reply: Spoiler & Keyfob trunk release both stopped working.