Sponsored by:

Unusual boxster door problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 12:51 PM
deanym
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unusual boxster door problem

I'm new to the forum, so I'm hoping for some friendly advice for perhaps a topic that has been discussed before, but I couldn't find.

When I use the keyfob to open my 2001 Boxster 3.2S, the passenger door does not unlock and cannot be opened with either the interior nor exterior handles.

I manage to remove the door card with the door closed, but was completely unable to open the latch. The opening cables seem to function fine. But the action is exactly as when the door is locked, so there is something stopping the actuation taking place.

I thought there may have been a way to spring the lock with the panel off, but due to the door latch/pawl interaction being hidden if the door is closed, I cannot find a way to get the door opened.

Does anyone know if there is a way of opening the door with the panel off, even if the cable mechs work fine but can't trigger the unlock of the lock (if that makes sense

I'm confident of replacing the mechanism once the door is opened, but I just cannot get to that point!

I need to get this fixed as I won't take my daughter in the car until I know the door will safely open in the event of any accident
Old 10-11-2014, 01:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

While I have no direct experience with this rather unusual problem that you have the inner door panel off is half the battle.

My WAG is the handles do not work because the mechanical connection between them and the door latch because there is a mechanical failure or more likely the door lock assembly/controller is not working properly to complete/restore the physical connection.

However, I would not replace the door lock assembly/unit on just my WAG. It is expensive and you want to be sure there is not a simpler explanation for the symptom.

I bet if you take a close look at the door's internals, where the latch is, and have someone work the outside handle you will see where the physical connection has a break in it and be able to tell if the break is intentional or due to a mechanical failure.

You might be able to use a screw driver or fashion some kind of hook out of substation metal wire to pull the latch and open the door. 'course, this does not address why this happened.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:02 PM
deanym
4th Gear

Thanks for fast response. Mechanically the latches and connections are okay, it's the lock itself which isn't deactivating to allow the handles to finish the job. The hook/screwdriver idea is the problem I'm having, there is minimal access to the locking mechanism action on the pawl, this is my main problem.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by deanym
Thanks for fast response. Mechanically the latches and connections are okay, it's the lock itself which isn't deactivating to allow the handles to finish the job. The hook/screwdriver idea is the problem I'm having, there is minimal access to the locking mechanism action on the pawl, this is my main problem.
In a recent office cleaning I have misplaced the old door lock assembly/controller (big alum box) from my Boxster's door so I do not have it to look at, but if I understand you correctly then there is really not much in the way of hardware available to hook to or grab to physically pull the door latch free of the door catch?

If this is correct then it reads like you will have to replace what appears to be the key component in this assembly and that is the door lock assembly/controller.

Before you do this though do you gain anything, better access to the door latch proper by removing the door lock assembly?

Might not matter. Even if you can find a way to open the door you are faced with the closing -- the door latch not work properly -- or even if you can close the door again then you are faced with having to jump through hoops to open the door again.

In this case being able to find a hardware hack to unlock and open the door is just to give you better access to the door's internals to facilitate replacing the suspected bad door lock/assembly controller.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:03 PM
deanym
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Macster
In a recent office cleaning I have misplaced the old door lock assembly/controller (big alum box) from my Boxster's door so I do not have it to look at, but if I understand you correctly then there is really not much in the way of hardware available to hook to or grab to physically pull the door latch free of the door catch?

If this is correct then it reads like you will have to replace what appears to be the key component in this assembly and that is the door lock assembly/controller.

Before you do this though do you gain anything, better access to the door latch proper by removing the door lock assembly?

Might not matter. Even if you can find a way to open the door you are faced with the closing -- the door latch not work properly -- or even if you can close the door again then you are faced with having to jump through hoops to open the door again.

In this case being able to find a hardware hack to unlock and open the door is just to give you better access to the door's internals to facilitate replacing the suspected bad door lock/assembly controller.
I need the door open to access two main bolts to remove the main lock therefore you're right some hack may be needed. What the hack may look like, I've no idea :-)
Old 10-12-2014, 12:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by deanym
I need the door open to access two main bolts to remove the main lock therefore you're right some hack may be needed. What the hack may look like, I've no idea :-)
FWIW, I came upon a question about a 996 door latch problem in the 9/2014 issue of 911 & Porsche World.

The owner's 996 passenger side door would not open using either the interior or exterior handle.

However, this behavior inexplicably cured itself.

But the owner is concerned about the door latch.

The answer is that it is not difficult to replace the door latch. Once the door card/panel is removed the waterproofing membrane is carefully peeled back at the top. With the key off and the window raised remove the air bag or remove the pressed steel plate from the top corner to gain access to the door latch.

There is more and I quote: Something that a lot of people forget to do when fitting a new latch, though, is to reconnect the lock mechanism on the driver's side. There is a linkage with one end shaped like a flat screwdriver blade from the lock barrel that must be located into the latch (white slot). If you fails to do this, then once you have left the car for more than 3 date, and the remotes have gone into "sleep" mode, you won't be able to get into the car. If the door won't open from either the inside or the outside then you will struggle to remove the door card, and thereby gain access to the latch. This is when you have to be a little more aggressive with the latch!

The is also a reference to an article in the August 2013 issue that covers some of the 996/986 door issues. I do not have that issue but you might be able to buy a back issue or possibly get a reprint of the article.

Visit:

www.911porscheworld.com

for any info on back issues/article reprints.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:48 PM
deanym
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Macster
FWIW, I came upon a question about a 996 door latch problem in the 9/2014 issue of 911 & Porsche World.

The owner's 996 passenger side door would not open using either the interior or exterior handle.

However, this behavior inexplicably cured itself.

But the owner is concerned about the door latch.

The answer is that it is not difficult to replace the door latch. Once the door card/panel is removed the waterproofing membrane is carefully peeled back at the top. With the key off and the window raised remove the air bag or remove the pressed steel plate from the top corner to gain access to the door latch.

There is more and I quote: Something that a lot of people forget to do when fitting a new latch, though, is to reconnect the lock mechanism on the driver's side. There is a linkage with one end shaped like a flat screwdriver blade from the lock barrel that must be located into the latch (white slot). If you fails to do this, then once you have left the car for more than 3 date, and the remotes have gone into "sleep" mode, you won't be able to get into the car. If the door won't open from either the inside or the outside then you will struggle to remove the door card, and thereby gain access to the latch. This is when you have to be a little more aggressive with the latch!

The is also a reference to an article in the August 2013 issue that covers some of the 996/986 door issues. I do not have that issue but you might be able to buy a back issue or possibly get a reprint of the article.

Visit:

www.911porscheworld.com

for any info on back issues/article reprints.
Brilliant, thanks Macster, I'll check it out

Quick Reply: Unusual boxster door problem