Sponsored by:

Alarm issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 12:48 PM
Maclen
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm issue

Hi all, I have a 2005 Boxster S, alarm goes off once in a while...not often..and usually when it does it's early morning..like at 4 this morning..lol
any ideas? It has a new battery so that's not it. Oh it went off for about a minute and then stopped, there was a big red light flashing in the car after and then that went off too and she was quiet again. it only has 53,000 miles on it.

Last edited by Maclen; 09-25-2014 at 12:49 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-25-2014, 12:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

The only times I have had an alarm problem like you describe with my 02 Boxster is when a small moth was in the cabin. Got there from me leaving the top down or the windows down while I had the car parked in the garage at home.

The car alarm would go off at various times, most often when the car was parked at work. Kind of embarrassing to have a new Porsche and have someone come up to me at work and tell me my car's alarm was going off for no apparent reason.

I was at a loss to understand why this was occurring but the alarm going off did not occur often enough to prompt me to take the car to the dealer.

Finally while I was driving the car the moth came out of its hiding place and starting fluttering about. I had an Ah Hah! moment but missed my chance to do anything about it then. But I was ready for the thing and a time or two later when it finally hung around long enough, no more moth.

Since then I leave the top up and the windows up when parking the car.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:01 PM
Maclen
Track Day

LOL..I hadn't thought about the bug theory..Thanks
Old 09-25-2014, 02:03 PM
Maclen
Track Day

what was the light flashing after?..I could see it through my cover
Old 09-25-2014, 02:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Oh, I was remiss in not also pointing out that water in the cabin can cause alarm issues.

Often if there is water in the cabin it comes from blocked body water drains. There are a couple, 3 in my car IIRC, in the front, under the covers on either side of the battery box.

There are two just behind the cabin, under the each side of the clamshell.

These body drains can get plugged up from plant litter -- mainly leaves -- that fall on the car and make their way into the basins the collect and direct water to the drains.

These need to be checked periodically and kept free of any litter.

The water in the cabin and its link to alarm problems is from the security module being located on the floor of the cabin under the passenger's seat.

You need to get down low and feel around under the seat -- be carefully, there are sharp edges under there! -- for any signs of water or dampness. Feel the carpets of the cabin and the carpets along the door bottoms.

Give each door a good shaking listening for water sloshing. A door/window membrane can fail and let the door collect water. Initially this causes odd problems with the door lock, or windows, but after a while can show up as electrical gremlins in other areas.

Last edited by Macster; 09-25-2014 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Typos.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:14 PM
Maclen
Track Day

ok Thank you!!!
Old 09-25-2014, 02:17 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Maclen
what was the light flashing after?..I could see it through my cover
My car has a red LED that flashes at one second intervals when the car is locked and armed.

This LED is located on the dash in the center close to the windshield.

There is a red LED located in the dash that also flashes when the car is locked and armed. I can't recall where exactly this is as I never see it when I'm in the car I only catch a glimpse of it when I pass by the car after I have locked the car.

I do not recall the behavior of these LEDs, or any other LEDs, in the event of an alarm.

You can trigger an alarm. Two ways that work for my car.

One way is to lock the car using the door lock button on the key fob.

Then using the key blade unlock the door and open it. Do not insert the key into the ignition.

After 10 seconds the alarm should sound and the lights LEDs and what have you flash. The horn sounds too. Loud so be ready for it.

You can roll down the windows and then lock the car using the button on the key fob.

Then shove your arm through an open window and wave your arm around. The infrared sensor (or motion sensor?) should detect the arm and trigger an alarm.

Have someone ready with a camera to record the activity of the LEDs and such for you to study later.

You can dismiss the alarm condition by inserting the key in the ignition and turning the key to the on position. I do not think you need to start the engine but you might so be ready to do that if the alarm continues.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:45 PM
Maclen
Track Day

correct..I should have thought of that..

Thank you Macster

Quick Reply: Alarm issue