Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

yup, a tilt would be great. if the boxster came with one
Old 09-01-2003, 09:12 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tilt? I tried ours the other day and for the second time since we purchased the car almost two years ago, concluded that tilt would be nice. I surely cannot figure out how anyone would find more passenger space in a Boxster then a 911.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:14 AM
Stephen Peterson
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no tilt.
Probably confused by looking at the manual. The locking lever in the picture makes it look like the wheel can tilt.
Agree with everyone else that it would be nice.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:29 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmmm, I seem to recall the telescoping level also allowing me to tilt the wheel. But since I haven't changed the wheel position in 6 months or so, so I could be mistaken.
Old 09-07-2003, 05:59 PM
EricT
Intermediate

As far as I know there is only telescoping, no tilt.

On the S2000 forum, someone took out the seat and actually hammered the seat pan to move the mounting points. Not sure if that is possible on the Boxster.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:56 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I test drove a '99 Boxster today. After my previous experience just sitting in a car, I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable I was. I put the seat all the way back. In a driving position, my head isn't hitting the roll bar. However, if I tried to lean my head back, it did hit the roll bar. There would be a problem if somebody were to rear-end me. My drive lasted only about ten minutes, so I can't speak to comfort on a long trip.

Bottom line--it was a fun ten minutes!!! I think I'm going to have to buy a Boxster!
Old 11-03-2003, 08:08 PM
plymouthcolt
Instructor

Originally posted by Alan Herod
Lots more room in a 911 then a Boxster.
I'm 6'2". My buddy at work has a 993. He let me drive it and I find it cramped with the seat fully pushed back.

I test drove a '99 Boxster last friday and with the seat all the way back I was in heaven.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:37 PM
EricT
Intermediate

I drove mine about 6 hours (400 miles) the day that I bought it and was quite comfortable the whole way. It's a good car for long distances, especially if you have places where you can open it up a bit. Now if they could just put a decent stereo in there...
Old 11-04-2003, 01:44 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

gentlemen-i have had a 993, and i now have a tt. my wife has a new 04 boxster. i am 6'7". there DEFINITELY is much more room in a carrera then a boxster, not even close.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:00 AM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Another objective opinion. Owning and routinely driving both cars, I cannot see how one can see it otherwise. When I get in the Boxster after my wife has driven it, the seat is all the way back and the head rest is against the mesh thing in the roll bar. I move the seat one notch forward. In the 911 with the seat in approximately the same position relative to the pedals and the steering wheel, there are many more aft positions on the track. I can move the seat back so far that I can't work the clutch. I put lots of miles on these cars, over 32K miles on the (02) Boxster and lots of track time in the right seat. Much more road and track time in 911s. I plan to start trailering the 911 to the track, but that is only because of the logistics.

Plymouthcolt, there must have been something wedged behind the seat of the 993. I'm glad everyone loves their Porsches. We just want the newbies to get the right one.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:55 PM
plymouthcolt
Instructor

Originally posted by Alan Herod
Another objective opinion. Owning and routinely driving both cars, I cannot see how one can see it otherwise. When I get in the Boxster after my wife has driven it, the seat is all the way back and the head rest is against the mesh thing in the roll bar. I move the seat one notch forward. In the 911 with the seat in approximately the same position relative to the pedals and the steering wheel, there are many more aft positions on the track. I can move the seat back so far that I can't work the clutch. I put lots of miles on these cars, over 32K miles on the (02) Boxster and lots of track time in the right seat. Much more road and track time in 911s. I plan to start trailering the 911 to the track, but that is only because of the logistics.

Plymouthcolt, there must have been something wedged behind the seat of the 993. I'm glad everyone loves their Porsches. We just want the newbies to get the right one.
I just tried sitting in my friends 911 again--the top of my thighs press on the lower steering wheel. I can drive it, but after 30 minutes I would likely cramp.

I believe the boxster seat may sit lower than the 911 seat. When I drove the Boxster, I had about an 1.5" clearance between thigh and wheel.

I will go to Carmax to test drive another Boxster just to be sure. I just wonder how Michael Jordan fits into his slant nose?
Old 11-04-2003, 11:30 PM
EricT
Intermediate

plymouthcolt,
the Boxster seat has a height adjustment, and I imagine the 911 does too. Did you try that?

Quick Reply: Any tall Boxster drivers out there???