Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any tall Boxster drivers out there???

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 04:34 PM
Steve Wilwerding
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say your chances of finding a Boxster with GT3 seats is pretty slim. There are no particular years that you would find them on since it's not a factory option. The only Boxsters I've ever seen with GT3 seats are ones that are raced regularly, and I'm not sure that you want to buy one of those.

So, if you want the seats, you'll probably have to buy them. That said, you don't necessarily have to buy GT3 seats. There are a number of racing seats that approximate the GT3 seat, but only cost $300 - $400. The GT3 seats are nice because you can get them in leather, and they actually look like they belong in the car, not like you added an aftermarket racing seat.

Old 08-15-2003, 07:51 AM
Gundo
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

One of the biggest complaints I hear about racing seats in general is the difficulty getting in and out.

Also, the seatbelt buckle becomes very hard to get at, almost impossible, actually.

But once your in, driving takes on a whole new meaning.

There is a guy over on the PCA Mart selling GT3 seats for $1,600 if you are serious.

As for roll bar padding, the Brey Krause roll-bar extender looks like it has decent padding, but I've never seen one in person.

I'd love to track down the tall-man bracket - I've found it on the B-K site, but am not sure if it will work with factory seats. Just 1 inch lower would make a huge difference.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:05 AM
Steve Wilwerding
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I couldn't find the seats for sale on the PCA Mart - what section were they under? Do you have a link?

Thanks.
Old 08-15-2003, 03:52 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suncoast is selling a set of GT3 seats for $2750 (no affiliation).

I'm a short 6'3" or a tall 6'2" depending on how you want to look at it. I get a little stiffness in my legs when I go on long drives (2+ hours). But nothing a quick stop and walk around doesn't fix. I don't recall ever having my head bump against the roll bar. At least with my helmet off. With my helmet on it's a different story.

You can remove the padding on the face of the roll bar if you wish. This is a necessary step in order to get the BK extension attached properly. I don't think just adding the BK extension will do anything for you that just removing the padding wouldn't. Except of course provide better protection in the event of a rollover. But I don't think that is your concern, is it? You just want to keep from banging you head against the roll bar, right?

Personally, I think the padding for the BK extension is hideous and will not add it to mine unless it becomes necessary (i.e. for track purposes).
Old 08-15-2003, 04:27 PM
Sean M.
Instructor

There's a GT3 seat on eBay for $1300.

GT3 Seat
Old 08-17-2003, 07:17 AM
Pebbles
Track Day

Hi all,

What we realy need is adjustable pedals. Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

Last edited by Pebbles; 08-17-2003 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:26 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

I have a 993TT and was given a Boxster as a loaner car over the weekend. I am 6'2" and a shade under 200 lbs. The Boxster definitely has more legroom than the 993 - particularly in the passenger seat. I could stretch my legs all the way out in the Boxster - no way can I do this in the 993. I found the Boxster to be a big improvement in ergonomics over the 993 - quite a nice car (could use some more power though).
Old 08-21-2003, 07:22 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am 6'3" and an athletic 220lbs. I have not had any major "fit" issues with my car. one of the things I have done in the past is adjust my seat back while moving the seat as far backwards as possible (comfortably of course). Sure after being in a car with a back seat where you can "lay" the seat back as far back as you wish it is a bit awkward, but this method has served me well for nearly four years.

I never thought of putting a GT3 seat in the car. Man that looks good!!!!
Old 08-21-2003, 10:54 PM
EricT
Intermediate

Any of you tall guys go for long drives, like 5+ hours? Can you stay comfortable for that long?
Old 08-23-2003, 12:02 AM
fizbot
Track Day

Thumbs up replacement Seats

I just had a seat in the new Sparco Leather Milano2 Sport Seats. WOW!!!

Easier to get in and out of than the GT3 seats, but holds you really well. Putting this seat on the factory seat mounts will gain you a couple inches, and if you replace with the Sparco mounts you should gain ~3-4". And with the Brey Klaus tall man bracket you will probably need to use a cushion to sit on

The leather version retails for $1299 USD, but the variety of fabric designs are $899.

It's nice that you can use the factory 3 point belt without a problem, or move to a 4,5 or 6 point belts if you want.
Old 08-23-2003, 05:44 PM
EricT
Intermediate

Is the bolster width adjustable?
Old 08-30-2003, 10:15 PM
JoeW
Pro

First post on Rennlist ......

I'd like a Boxster, too, but at 6'2" my comfort problem on test drives has been a little different: long legs. So my posture to brake, or to use the clutch is a little splayed and awkward because my knees keep hitting the steering wheel.

Is there a tilt option for the wheel aftermarket?

Or has anyone fitted a different (smaller) wheel?

Or would dropping the seat height fix that (only need another inch at the knee)?

Suggestions? JW
Old 08-31-2003, 01:02 AM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

You probably already know this, but I thought I would mention it. The stock wheel does tilt and telescope. That seems to be enough for me. However, you can install an aftermarket steering wheel. That and/or a seat should do the trick. Take a look at Brey-Krause for some hardware options.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:54 AM
Stephen Peterson
AutoX

I installed the GT3 console-delete and it made all the difference in the amount of leg room. Before it felt that there was not enough room for my right leg.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:49 PM
JoeW
Pro

Originally posted by NetManiac
You probably already know this, but I thought I would mention it. The stock wheel does tilt and telescope. That seems to be enough for me.
No! I didn't know that. I found the telescoping lever beneath the steering wheel but couldn't find a telescoping adjustment. The salesman told me there wasn't one, but I should know better than to believe sales stuff

Where is the tilt adjustment, then? You're right that would make all the difference.

Thankx. JW

Quick Reply: Any tall Boxster drivers out there???