Issue turning and accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 08:10 PM
Sbouslog
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Issue turning and accelerating

Hi,
I searched all over and couldn't find a solution to this issue. I can accelerate fine and I can turn fine but when I do both my car has issues. I have a 1999 boxter 2.5. It sat for 5 years and I just got it going yesterday. When I turn and hit the gas (the reason you own a boxter) it feels like something is rubbing/jerking. I checked the power steering fluid levels and they are fine. I don't see any spots were the tires are rubbing. Has anyone else had this issue? I can feel it in the steering wheel so I feel like it's coming from the front. With that said, could it be the rear diff? Would a diff act differently when you are on the gas and when you aren't? I feel like that is the most logical issue.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:32 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 265 Posts

Are the tires on it the ones that sat for 5 years? If so that's the first thing I would suspect. Also the alignment specs. How many miles on the suspension- wheel bearings, control arms, etc?
Old 06-15-2014, 08:36 PM
Sbouslog
Intermediate

Just put new tires on it yesterday. Everything in the suspension is stock. The issue only happens when turning AND accelerating though so that kinda makes me think it can't be a front end issue.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:47 PM
particlewave
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Turning and accelerating makes me think motor or trans mount...maybe.

Does it happen equally when turning either direction, or is it noticeably worse in one direction?
Old 06-15-2014, 09:13 PM
Sbouslog
Intermediate

Happens turning both directions. How do I check the mounts?
Old 06-15-2014, 09:23 PM
particlewave
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You will have to get in there and inspect visually. If they show any signs of cracking or excessive wear, they need to be replaced.

Can you feel the shifter move under hard acceleration? Sometimes you will get this symptom with worn mounts.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:30 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 265 Posts

Some tech articles on motor and trans mounts over at pelican parts site too.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:08 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

And you don't feel anything on deceleration when turning? Fellow Boxster owners also report that they feel/hear a clunk when they come off the throttle quickly, which can be either engine or trans mount issues. As stated above, would be a good idea to check both engine and trans mounts. The engine mount is pretty straight forward. We've written a nice step-by-step, Replacing Your Motor Mount, and you'll find the replacement part here.

Try and investigate further before you dive into parts purchases but really, these are the main culprits with what you're describing. Keep us updated.

Mark/Pelican Parts
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 06-17-2014, 11:54 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

What all did you do to get the car back on the road after it sat for 5 years?

The diff it unlikely to be at fault.

As others have advised there are the engine/tranny mounts. It is worth while to check these but I don't think these are the problem based on your post.

If the symptoms appear at relatively slow speeds I'm thinking it is the normal inside front tire scrubbing that occurs when the steering is cut sharply in either direction at slow speeds.

But I can on occasion get my Boxster to generate a rapid fire stuttering from the front tires at a higher speed during a real sharp turn. The inside front tire still scrubs it just does so with smaller/more numerous events.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:08 PM
mikes603
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put it on jacks and take the tires off to eliminate it being a rub issue. And then you can see whats going on rather than guessing.

Quick Reply: Issue turning and accelerating