Sponsored by:

clutch pressure mystery

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 12:42 PM
ack4007
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch pressure mystery

My 90K mile DD 2001 986 S is presenting a mystery symptom that the search function (across many inferior forums too) hasn't been able to help me solve. My reasonably new clutch (<5K miles), pressure plate, and throw-out bearing feel great at civil RPMs - very consistent pressure and engagement. However the clutch pressure gets noticeably lighter when shifting above 5K RPMs. When I push in, it starts off soft and stiffens towards the bottom. Then about 1/4 through its return journey, it gets soft again. The gear shift remains smooth, I can control the engagement with the flywheel, and there's no grinding or noticeable slipping. It's not like chamikla's sticking clutch problem. Everything seems to be working, but something is changing with high RPMs and I don't know what.

The transmission does have the modified 2nd gear detent, but I can't imagine how that could play a role.

I had the brakes bled 6 months ago and the problem didn't present before getting the new clutch around Xmas. My amateurish guess is that the mounts - engine, transmission, or maybe both - are the culprits. There's just a bit of clunking/lurching when letting off the accelerator too quickly.

At this point, it's not an obvious problem but your theories would be much appreciated.

Thanks! AK in VA
Attached Images  
Old 04-29-2014, 02:47 PM
landrovered
Intermediate

The throwout bearing could be sticking on the output shaft at higher rpms thus it would take more pressure to push it and engage the fingers of the pressure plate.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:32 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Would not be a bad idea to have the engine and transmission mounts checked. Transmission (or possibly engine) movement due to a failed mount could help explain the behavior.

While you are there, so to speak, it might be a good idea to have the clutch system flushed/bled. If the just the brakes are done this can leave some of the bad fluid in the clutch system. Also, if the brake flush/bleed is not done right, and it doesn't take a class A number 1 screw up just someone failing to keep the fluid level high enough during the bleed operation, this can introduce air into the clutch system.

This is one of the reasons why the brakes then the clutch should be bled.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:37 AM
ack4007
6th Gear

Thanks gents,
I'll tune my ear and foot to pay attention to the throw-out bearing.
And it's good to know that bleeding the brakes isn't enough to keep the clutch hydraulics happy.
Sounds like a medieval bleeding is worthwhile regardless and inspecting the mounts while under there.
All the while keeping fingers crossed that this remains a low three digit maintenance.

Quick Reply: clutch pressure mystery