Sponsored by:

Camshafts for dummies question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 12:05 PM
NewArt
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Camshafts for dummies question

Having searched and read numerous DIY write ups, one thing remains very unclear to me (well, two actually). 1. Is the compression stroke determined by the cam sensors?, and 2. At TDC, will the two single notch cams be pointing the same way (e.g. outward), or in opposite directions, like one in and one out?

My main concern is since I had both cam sets removed, that I have put them back facing the right way and not rotated one set half a turn. I put them back in with the dots on the sprockets (which correspond to the colored links) facing out. Currently one intake cam notch faces in and the other faces out. Is this right?
Old 04-12-2014, 05:39 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by NewArt
Having searched and read numerous DIY write ups, one thing remains very unclear to me (well, two actually). 1. Is the compression stroke determined by the cam sensors?, and 2. At TDC, will the two single notch cams be pointing the same way (e.g. outward), or in opposite directions, like one in and one out?

My main concern is since I had both cam sets removed, that I have put them back facing the right way and not rotated one set half a turn. I put them back in with the dots on the sprockets (which correspond to the colored links) facing out. Currently one intake cam notch faces in and the other faces out. Is this right?
It may be a bit pedantic but the compression stroke is determined by when the valves are closed in relationship to the piston and its position and direction of travel, which comes down to the relationship (timing) of the cams' rotation to that of the crankshaft.

On the compression stroke of a piston in a cylinder the lobes for the valves for that cylinder will be pointing up. Viewed from the end of the camshaft they'll look like rabbit ears.

The camshaft sensors are used to know the VarioCam system is working.

The position of the piston is inferred by the crankshaft position sensor and the teeth on the flywheel.

For your second question I'm not really able to respond with any degree of confidence and you must be sure what info you use you can have complete confidence in.

I have I think (IIRC) a PDF of the camshaft installation and timing instructions from the factory manual. This document -- if it exists and I think it does for I seem to recall I made it for someone else -- is at work on my office PC.

Come Monday I can find it and send it to you by private email if you want. Send me a private email with an email address you want me to use.

Quick Reply: Camshafts for dummies question