Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why u choose?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 05:57 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your so into numbers and facts HBacura..Car and Driver recorded 5.2 13.8 1/4 mile.I also saw those same times posted on a site called Autoracing1.com.Rob Grant posted 5.2 in stock form at the drag strip.Its a known fact that Porsche times are conservative..A Boxster S definitely does lower times than 5.7. IF those guys in the Cvic si and the VW VR6 GTi smoked the 'S",either they could drive their a$$ off or the 'S' driver sucked.I had a slightly modded VR6 Corrado and its not coming close to an 'S',straight line acceleration and handling...
Old 07-29-2003, 06:24 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the definition of "slightly modded"?
Old 07-29-2003, 06:39 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Oh to add to your 0-60 facts i read so many different times for Boxster S,you need to check the old issues..from 5.2 to 5.8.Different drivers and conditions..make different times.Also saw a recent test(think it was Road and Track) for convertibles,03' 'S"posted times of 5.3 ,13.7 1/4mile. Adscab911,my Corrado had Neuspeed ECU and intake,high flow cat,cat back exhaust.Sports cams was the last piece never did it though.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:03 PM
HBacura
Racer

Originally posted by autobahnNY
Oh to add to your 0-60 facts i read so many different times for Boxster S,you need to check the old issues..from 5.2 to 5.8.Different drivers and conditions..make different times.Also saw a recent test(think it was Road and Track) for convertibles,03' 'S"posted times of 5.3 ,13.7 1/4mile. Adscab911,my Corrado had Neuspeed ECU and intake,high flow cat,cat back exhaust.Sports cams was the last piece never did it though.
Road & Track, August 2003. Page 94
Porsche Boxster S
list price $51,600
3.2 liter 4-valve / cyl flat-6
horsepower 258 bhp @ 6250 rpm
Torque 229 lb-ft @4500 rpm
0-60 5.7 sec
braking, 60-0 116ft
skidpad .95g
slalom 71.6 mph
road test 2003 S&GT

I don't have the time right now to start pulling all my sources, but if you like I will, which all pretty much say the same thing. As for the guy with the S at the track you failed to mention if he was running on street tires or slicks (that makes a huge diff.)
As for the guy who ran the S then ran the RX-7, he doesn't suck. He ran a 12.2 1/4 mile on street tires. My moded Integra and Silvia to what you may know of it is a Nissan 240sx are both faster then my stock Boxster. But, then again I have put a lot of work into those 2 cars. The S-14 Silvia gets the most looks because only one other person around here has done this conversion.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:40 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Well keep digging in your sources.I know what i read are facts also.I have seen so many articles for the Boxster S since it was released.Several car magazines have different times for the SAME car.This is actually petty.I'm surprised I'm following this up..Here some more facts for ya....

Road Test: Porsche Boxster S
Old 07-30-2003, 09:07 AM
Helen
Racer

as i don't take my car to the track the 0-60 time was not a huge factor in making the choice of what car to buy.
being reliable,drivable in all weathers,comftable and have storage space where more important. as well as looks,nearness of dealership for servicing and dear i say it..............snob value.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:11 PM
HBacura
Racer

Well keep digging in your sources.I know what i read are facts also.I have seen so many articles for the Boxster S since it was released.Several car magazines have different times for the SAME car.This is actually petty.I'm surprised I'm following this up..Here some more facts for ya....

Road Test: Porsche Boxster S
Normally I would've stopped, you invited me to give more facts.

http://www2.us.porsche.com/english/usa/home.htm

This is from the offical porsche website.
That is to 62 mph, and I don't think you are going to reach 2 miles slower in .5 seconds less. That would be next to impossible

Edit: Well I thought that link should've taken you straight to the Boxster S.
Just click on Boxster then Boxster S
Old 07-30-2003, 10:28 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Times depend on so many different things so they will vary and like I said Porsche gives a conservative figure.I'm sure lower times will be at the expense of the clutch.These cars are not about 0-60,but to show you its capable of lower times than 5.7,here ya go.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...z4/index4.html

http://www.autoracing1.com/DaveC/Boxster_S.htm

http://popularmechanics.com/popmech/...009AUNCCP.html
Old 07-31-2003, 07:33 AM
Helen
Racer

you lot seem to be really hung up on the 0-60 or 0-100 times.

when i want a race car i drive the GT3!!!!

the Boxster if a great everyday road car!!!
Old 07-31-2003, 02:39 PM
HBacura
Racer

Times depend on so many different things so they will vary and like I said Porsche gives a conservative figure.I'm sure lower times will be at the expense of the clutch.These cars are not about 0-60,but to show you its capable of lower times than 5.7,here ya go.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...z4/index4.html

http://www.autoracing1.com/DaveC/Boxster_S.htm

http://popularmechanics.com/popmech/...009AUNCCP.html
I didn't check the other 2 sites yet but the last one is totally incorrect for every vechile. The Audi TT wishes it could run a 6.5. To get the Honda 2000 to run a 6.4 most likely you've never heard of keeping the car in vtec, since that car runs a 5.5. Not even the first Miata was a slow as a 9.0. Try 5.0 for the Merc SLK. If I saw an Bimmer M driver running a 6.1, I would ask him what kinda crack was he hitting for him to only get a 6.1. In fact almost every other stat outside of 0-60 times are incorrect. I would like to kick the editors of that site for falsly portraying specs on all of those cars.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:25 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

You said it your self basically.Different drivers will post different times,at times,slow ones.That article with the Merc isnt the AMG version and the BMW M Z3 was only 240hp version,before the 300hp plus version.If this is true those times can be quite believable.It's possible to see the S2000 posting a slow time because of the lack of low end torque.If not properly rev in the power band,you will see an average launch.Of course you didn't check they other sites,there not in favor of your opinion.I am NOT about 0-60 and1/4,but I want to prove my point.I see what your about.Have a nice day,ACURA.

P.S. sorry everyone for this back and forth crap,I'm done here.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:38 AM
HBacura
Racer

My point is that you are trying to tell me that an increase of only 30hp and about 30lbs of torque, and weighs 100lbs more over the base model can knock off .7 of a second in a 0-60 time. That's next to impossible. I can see that might happening in a 1/4 time, but not in a 0-60 time. Do you realize how hard it is to shave off .5 of a sec in a 1/4??? Some T25 turbo chargers adding 60hp can hardly knock off 1 second in a 1/4 on some applications.

Edit: you are correct about the Merc not being the AMG, but as far as the Bimmer. That last time I checked the last time the M roadster only had 240hp was back in 2000. Ever since then it's been above 300hp, I believe around 315 from 2001-2002, and 333 in 2003. So I'm assuming that this article is very old, meaning that the Boxster S was quoted only when it had 250hp instead of 258. So that would change things. The base Boxster at that time was running between 6.1-6.4. So that now means that you are telling me that going from the base to the S adding 33hp and 33lbs of torque and weighing 77lbs more can shave a whole sec off of the 0-60 time. All I have to say is "Whoa...please let me be able to shake the hand of the person(s) who were able to make that power to weight ratio turn into such a drastic result in such a short amount of distance".

And on a side note, these horse power figures are rated at the crank, you still haven't even calculated the power loss from the crank to the drive wheels, and at what rpm the horsepower and torque peak at. My point again, it's very, very hard to believe. But, I'll go along with you on this.

Last edited by HBacura; 08-01-2003 at 04:15 AM.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:06 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Boxster S is a fast car from the factory. The Boxster is a fast car from the factory. The 240sx is not a fast car from the factory. The Integra is not a fast car from the factory. All can be fast cars if modded.
Old 08-02-2003, 03:08 AM
HBacura
Racer

Originally posted by adscab911
The Boxster S is a fast car from the factory. The Boxster is a fast car from the factory.
To each his own.

Originally posted by adscab911
The 240sx is not a fast car from the factory.
If my car was a 240 then I would say you are true, but mine is a S14 Silvia. Almost the same body chassis, totally different power output.

Nissan 240
http://www.eniety.com/pichost/pic/my...per%20view.JPG

http://www.ings-net.com/gallery/img/img_race005_b.jpg

Nissan S14/15
http://www.gpsports-na.com/aero/type1_s15_fr_lg.jpg

http://www.gpsports-na.com/aero/type4_s15_fr_lg.jpg

Quick Reply: why u choose?