Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help on buying a USED Boxster 986!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 02:38 AM
cyrusmo1984
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on buying a USED Boxster 986!!!

Hi everyone, i am new to this forum since i am going to get one used boxster. I need some helps from you guys since i never drive /own a Porsche. I would like to get some information before buy it.

Here is the information:

1999 Porsche Boxster new brakes , 62k actual miles, rotors and breaks 2 months old , clean title, no accidents, clean carfax Oil changed 3 months ago

Black Exterior Color
Boxster Red Interior

It selling for $8.5k

I would like to see if this deal a good deal? And is this year of boxster reliable since it is the first year right? Any major maintenance i need to do after purchase it?

Please help since tomorrow i will go check out the car, and i do not want to lose any good deal.

Thanks everyone!!
Old 02-01-2014, 10:14 AM
The French Dude
Instructor

Plus 2k for IMS upgrade
Old 02-01-2014, 11:16 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Get a longish -- 15 mile -- test ride then follow it with a 15 mile -- same route -- test drive.

You want to experience the car in the way you'll use it if you should buy it.

Once warmed up the engine should pull with no drama and once you put away the whip settle down into a nice smooth idle.

After the test ride/drive then subject the car to a thorough used car check out. Assume nothing works until you verify it does. This applies to the top down to the brakes, from the headlights back to the tail lights.

After your check out if you like the car and believe you can buy it for an agreeable sum of money then arrange to get a PPI.

Among other things this will have the car in the air and the tech can check for any leak sign your test ride/drive may have produced.

He can read the DME and get the engine run time and over rev counters.

He can remove the oil filter housing and check the oil/filter for scary metal bits.

And so on…

For the price I can't help you other than to offer you visit several of the used car sites: www.nada.com and www.kbb.com to give you two that come readily to mind; that offer prices for used cars. Plug in this car's numbers and see what its wholesale price is. That is about what the seller has in the car or what the car is worth on the wholesale market. How much over this you pay for the car -- *provided* it is deemed worth owning at all -- is between you and the seller.

Remember: Price is not a fact only an opinion. There is always another car.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:07 PM
DennisAN
Advanced

The Excellence buyer's guide seems helpful. http://www.excellence-mag.com/resour.../print_edition Either way you buy it you can access it immediately online.

Don't bother with the Adrian Streather Boxster buyer's guide.

It's helpful to post exactly WHERE you live so people can suggest resources for you. Rust belt cars are worth less than western cars.

The 1999 is the 3rd year of production, and the last year of the 2.5l engine. Starting in 2000 you got the 2.7l engine which purportedly has fewer "engine issues". Still has the less-troublesome two-row IMS bearing.

I don't want to be mean, but....you need to do your research/homework before looking at cars.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:24 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Reading this may help http://sites.google.com/site/mikefoc...oxsterwebpages as it is free and contains a series of buying a Boxster articles by a two time Boxster owner who loved his cars and had great experiences with both. His prior sports car experiences were with a 914 and 2 Alfas. You'll learn the good and the bad but the good far outweighs the bad. With cars this old, condition is everything and I would absolutely spend a couple of hundred on a Pre-Purchase Inspection by an experienced Porsche mechanic to tell me the condition and what it might need in the next few years. In one of my purchases, I didn't shy away from buying a car that needed about $2k spent on it to bring it up to my standards. I spent it once and the next 5 years were totally trouble free.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:39 AM
alenz
Advanced

OP
Did you buy the car?

Quick Reply: Need help on buying a USED Boxster 986!!!