Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about the 996 upgrade, need advice please

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 12:02 PM
Vampyre
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, talk about ppl slamming other people Porsches, that is just crazy.
I think if you like a car Buy it, who cares what other ppl think.

The C4 is a great car, and will always be, the resale value is also a plus over a jap car.

I agree with most statements that were made, We all know the Boxster is not the fastest car around, and we all know that Porsche decided not to make a turbo Boxster , for fear it will cost less then a 996 and out perform it also. The Boxster is still a very worthy roadster, in the lastest magaiznes I read, most Roadsters coming out STILL compare themselves to the Boxster.

As for the Mits EVO, yeah it's fast.. Kinda, But when it comes to whip *** time, I just bust out My C5 Vette and I'll smoke that car, The EVO 0 to 60Mph times are in the 5 second range, My C5 is in the 4 second range (STOCK). and my car ain't stock.... I love smoking the wanna be Fast and Furious crowd... 'nuff said
Old 07-31-2003, 02:44 PM
HBacura
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Vampyre
I just bust out My C5 Vette and I'll smoke that car, The EVO 0 to 60Mph times are in the 5 second range, My C5 is in the 4 second range (STOCK). and my car ain't stock.... I love smoking the wanna be Fast and Furious crowd... 'nuff said
So, it makes you feel like a man with a V-8 to beat a 4 banger...how sad

The real sad part is the EVO ran a better slalom and skidpad times then a stock C5 which costs over 20k more, not to mention braking times and feet were also better then the C5. I'll post the stats later when I have a chance to look at that articale again.

I do understand that the vette's primary focus is straight line, and that's what most buyers are after when they look into purchasing those cars.

Last edited by HBacura; 07-31-2003 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:50 PM
Vampyre
Racer

No No,you got it all wrong.... not a man,
it makes me feel good. Good is Good!!!

Old 07-31-2003, 03:20 PM
KJM3SMG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default hehe

No No,you got it all wrong.... not a man, it makes me feel good. Good is Good!!!

In that case you are excused. :P

--------------------
KJ

CARS FORUM
- general car topics

Cars:
2002 BMW M3 SMG - 19", 8000k HIDs, Formula One tints, Naxxos fogs
2000 Porsche Boxster S - B&M short shifter, Naxxos xenons

Last edited by KJM3SMG; 07-31-2003 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:10 PM
Vampyre
Racer

Thanks... for the excuse!
Old 08-01-2003, 10:29 AM
Vampyre
Racer

By all means if you really want an Evo, I say get one. I know if I needed a AWD vehicle it would be near the top of my list right now. I prefer the looks and raw power of the STI, but I think the Evo would be a better car to have for the street.

I think you'll be hard pressed to get one for MSRP, though. Every ricer boy is going to be after these and the STI, and the dealers know it.

I'd also have a hard time getting over that this is really a $15K car with $15K worth of engine hop-ups. The interior may not matter to you, but certainly keep that in mind.

The C5 is definitely better-looking, but the mod potential of the Evo is enormous...IMHO, only the 2JZ-GTE Supra engine has more potential for its displacement than the 4G63.

You can get a LOT more power out of the DSM 4G63 engine...it's damn near bulletproof...there are quite a few people with Evos and Eclipses putting down 400 to 500 HP and more TO THE WHEELS on stock internals!

Even with just bolt-ons, you're in the mid-12s...not bad for a 4-banger "economy car"! The Evo also out-handles the C5 / Z06 in the slalom, but who didn't know that...

$30K vs. $50K MSRP...a stock Evo has performance similar to a stock C5 for $20K less...an Evo with bolt-ons will smoke a stock or lightly-modded C5 from 0-80 race...FACT. The C5 will pull away from the Evo on the top end,...but how often do you race to 170+Mph on the street???

All in all each to there own! Enjoy the car you have, remember the feeling you had when you first drove it home from the dealer!!!, that is why you bought it in the first place.

http://home.rochester.rr.com/vampyre..._Art_Style.gif
Old 08-01-2003, 12:48 PM
HBacura
Racer

Originally posted by Vampyre
All in all each to there own! Enjoy the car you have, remember the feeling you had when you first drove it home from the dealer!!!, that is why you bought it in the first place.

Very very good points. It's been a week since my Boxster got all crashed up, and I miss it everyday. They will be able to fix it, but the sad part is I know I'm not going to see it while the weather is still hot.
O'well I look at it like this, at least this gives me more time to research the 996 engine swap that I'm intending on having done instead of me spending my free time driving with the top down all day.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:14 PM
Vampyre
Racer

Sorry about your Porsche, I would hate to think of a summer without her.

Why will it take so long to fix? Is there anyway you can work the new engine into the repair?

BTW; Have you looked in to the SuperCharger they make for the Boxster, that thing really works well and the HP / Torque gain is very nice.

check it out if you haven't

http://www.tpcsuperchargers.com/
Old 08-01-2003, 02:23 PM
KJM3SMG
Racer

Engine swap is still better.. there's a few discussions about it and how a TPC Boxster raced a Boxster S.. not too much of a difference supposedly. And a 996 engine swap is a different story.. as you saw in one of the sites, 12.7 1/4 mile!

--------------------
KJ

CARS FORUM
- general car topics

Cars:
Old 08-01-2003, 02:31 PM
Vampyre
Racer

WOW!! I had no idea the Boxster would be in the 12's with a 996 Engine, I guess I am sold!, I'd love to put one in my Boxster, but alas I don't have the $15K for it. And I don't think it is possible with a 1997 Boxster, since it uses a throttle cable.
Old 08-02-2003, 03:28 AM
HBacura
Racer

The reason why they said it would take so long is because of the waiting for parts deal. They mentioned that there was another Porsche that has been waiting for over 3 months for parts. I saw that 12 second slip, and it looks soooo appealing. I'm not that speed crazy that I would need anything in the 10s or 11s, so I think I might be sold on the 3.4 conversion. My new question is, could the 3.4 be turbo charged in a Boxster, and if so how are those 'K' style turbochargers? I believe they use K24 turbochargers, which I have no knowledge of. I'm used to T25, T28 and T3/T4 hybrid turbochargers. Do those K turbochargers have much lag, how many psi can they hold on stock internals? Maybe I should direct these questions to the turbo forum.
Old 08-02-2003, 03:40 AM
HBacura
Racer

I have my doubts about supercharging my car due to the fact that they always run. This causes engine ware a lot faster vs. a turbo charger. Yes the upside to a supercharger is there is minimum lag, and you the feel the power instantaneously, but at times when I'm in chill mode and I don't really want to push my car, I like the fact that having a turbocharger if not being at FOT (full open throttle) or close to it, the turbine won't even spin...resulting in less engine stress.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:22 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KJM3SMG
like I said, you got a lemon... my M3 is perfect and so are the other BMW owner's (my friends) cars out there. Hell BMW ranks consistently high on Initial Quality Surveys and 3 year ones as well.. Just because you got a crappy car, doesn't mean all 3 series' are that bad. Come on dude, you know that. It wouldn't be called "legendary 3 series", benchmark for luxury entry level sedans for nothing by many magazines. It wouldn't score high on many books if all of them are like YOUR lemon.

Let me reiterate i have have had TWO 3 seriers in the last four years.

For three years JD Power and associates has been evaluating the most reliable automobiles in various classes. Once again the Porsche 996, has been awarded "The Most Dependable Premium Sport Car".

However, it does not stop there- if you look at the JD Power and Associates study and stack ranking of the 2003 Vehicle Dependability Study (http://www.jdpa.com/presspass/pr/ima...03050afull.gif) Porsche had the least problems per every 100 vehicles it manufactured. BMW only ranks just north of GM, which is just shy of being below the industry average and, beneath Toyota, Honda, and Nissan.

Apparently, I am not the only one that drove two lemons from BMW.

So, good luck with that sunroof, window switches, thermostat, all of which are on back order and constant maintenance. Don't believe me call BMW servcie and ask them when you can get a thermostat for your 3 series Bimmer and they will tell you to get into the 90-120 back order waiting list! I know because My wife and I are there right now at this minute that I write this text and have been so for 45 days.

The industry average of problems per every 100 cars is 273- The stack ranking is as follows ( if you have not visited the link)

Porsche Cars North America- 193
Toyota Motor Sales USA (Lexus inclusive)- 196
American Honda Motor - 215
Nissan Motor America- 258
BMW- 258
GM Corp- 264
Subaru of America- 266
(Below Indusrty Average)
Ford Motor (Jaguar included)- 287
DaimlerChrysler (Mercs Benz Included)- 311
Mitsubishi Motors N.A.- 339
Hyundai Motor America- 342
American Isuzu Motors- 368
Volkswagen of America- 378
American Suzuki Motor Corp- 403
Daewoo Motor America- 421
Kia Motors America- 509

Porsche...there simply is no substitute!
Old 08-04-2003, 03:01 PM
KJM3SMG
Racer

hey HBAcura,

I think for the 3.4 L 996 engine, you can use 2 K16 turbochargers.. same for 3.2 L Boxster S. But for 3.6 L conversion (done by TPP see my other post in a new thread today), it's K24.

http://www.tnx.net/biturbo%20boxster...o%20bt%20450hp

--------------------
KJ

CARS FORUM
- general car topics

Cars:
Old 08-04-2003, 05:59 PM
HBacura
Racer

Thanx KJ, I was reading up on that site last week. That 450hp looks really impressive. I didn't know about the K16 turbos until you just mentioned it, so I will do some research on those. Also, do you know anywhere in the Mid-Atlantic to track your Boxster. I would be really interested in any type of Auto-X next year.

Thanx again.

Quick Reply: Thinking about the 996 upgrade, need advice please