Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about the 996 upgrade, need advice please

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 06:12 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm..HBcura i can tell your not the typical Porsche owner.Your coming from a world of numbers that you read out of mags...Seem your base model had enough power to get you enough trouble to lose control and wreck it.How could your wreck a Boxster with that handling?...I had plenty of Pocket rockets to the almighty powerful Supra Twin Turbo and there is nothing like the feel of a Porsche!
Old 07-29-2003, 06:47 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally posted by KJM3SMG
"For that matter, get a Boxster S which is almost easily the equal of a 996 in performance."...

I never thought those 2 were close even in road races. Can you explain more please? Thx.

--------------------KJ
IMHO performance is close as the technology that makes the 996 a great Porsche are very much a part of the Boxster S. Until the 996 saw an additional boost in HP in the 2002 the Boxster S challenged well with a respectable HP:Weight ration putting it pretty close to the 996 in many areas except in luxury and all around options for comfort and quality of interior build. For example- the term "very Boxsterish" was coined in 996 circles to imply somewhat cheap and lots of plastic. That obviously has nothing to do with the type of performance you could squeeze out of the car.

Originally posted by KJM3SMG
coming from a 996 owner, this surprises me still ...

Thx.

--------------------KJ
I don't mind calling it the way I see it regardless of what is said in 996 groups or other. Personally, I think the greatest car Porsche ever manufactured was the 928 and the the 996 is a hybrid of design and engineering of the 911 and 928 molded into one car. A statement like that in 911 circles would get me lots of spit in my face but I have no trouble calling a "spade a spade". My ego is not damaged in any way becuase I drive a Porsche and regardless of what Porsche it may be I gather the most value from proud ownership of the marque. I have owned quite a few Porsches and other cars to include my current BMW 330i- now you want to talk about a trash car that EVERYBODY is driving... get a 3 Series Bimmer and you will know. I can say and share what my expereince is as it relates to this car because I've owned two and, the only car I owned recently that was worse was the Nissan 350Z- Track version. Granted there are some ingenious things that I can find on the Bimmer and the Nissan but when I boil it all down I simply marvel and am totally impressed with Porsche as a company as much as I am with the products they manufacture.

I don't think I need to tell you guys that Porsche has lead the way in technology and the development of their cars and many have tried to copy Porsche's creative innovations and remarkable achievements...none of those copy cats impress me the way Porsche does regardless of what model of this fine marque you or I may drive. So coming from a 996 owner I can recognize and acknowledge your Porscher as much as I do my own. Don't get me wrong, I also would not be afraid to tell you Porsche went wrong too.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:03 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Hey Double Nutz,I'm in the westbury/Jericho area...
Old 07-29-2003, 07:53 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by autobahnNY
Hey Double Nutz,I'm in the westbury/Jericho area...
We were neighbors...I grew up at 1630 Bard Lane in East Meadow just behind Eisenhower Park.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:26 PM
HBacura
Racer

Hmm..HBcura i can tell your not the typical Porsche owner.Your coming from a world of numbers that you read out of mags...Seem your base model had enough power to get you enough trouble to lose control and wreck it.How could your wreck a Boxster with that handling?...I had plenty of Pocket rockets to the almighty powerful Supra Twin Turbo and there is nothing like the feel of a Porsche!
You sir are correct. I'm not your typical Porsche driver. I don't drive slow enough to be driving Miss Daisy. I also, don't have a mind set that becuase I drive a Porsche means I'm better then anyone else, or on a whole another level then most ppl. I'm not fake, I'm real. If something is the way it is, it's the way it is. I don't make excuses about anything, and I'm blunt and in your face. At the same time I'm very friendly and really really diverse unlike a lot of P-car owners I run into (maybe it's just this central VA area P-car drivers) but majority of them are stuck up and close minded. About the accident, it wasn't even my fault seeing that someone cut in front of me causing me to swerve two lanes over just to avoid rear ending them. You my friend (i'm sorry, but are a ID ten T, spell it out maybe you might get it). since you knew nothing about my accident, but claiming i'm some moron that can't drive and you didn't even know the facts. I think it's funny how you keep following me from thread to thread trying to flame me (lets me know that for some reason I'm getting you all hot and bothered) I had no problem with anyone on this board until you came along, being consitant at attempting to embarris me with...well...your garbage. My only hope for you is that you don't help to produce an offspring, because that little one will most likely grow up to be the same type of close minded fool as you are.

Sorry everyone else for starting to blow up, this conversation was starting to turn around until super jerk started to ride my *** from thread to thread. Guess he never heard of the PM function. If this thread needs to be closed, do so. I mod other car and computer forums and this does look like it's starting to get out of hand.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:29 PM
HBacura
Racer

Originally posted by DoubleNutz

My ego is not damaged in any way becuase I drive a Porsche and regardless of what Porsche it may be I gather the most value from proud ownership of the marque.
You sir are a good man.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:51 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Thats all nice and Dandy what you have to say,but I'm just stating facts myself...maybe i was off with the "accident thing".Just wondering how you could slam a Boxster in only a couple of months with your backround in performance driving/cars.Actually, I thought about it when you posted that the first time.You did mention in the post you were questioning the boxsters handling.You come here talking how the Boxster S is a slow car in stock form...Well from my experience with other cars,articles and being an OWNER of a Boxster S,i have the right to argue against what you stated.This is a message bored,right???
Old 07-30-2003, 02:37 AM
HBacura
Racer

i have the right to argue against what you stated.This is a message bored,right???
yes sir you do, and I have no problem with you doing so. I'm going to kill any sour feelings I had towards you. This is a message board, and I would hope that you would express your feelings or justifications to the best of your ability.
Old 07-30-2003, 03:22 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by HBacura
yes sir you do, and I have no problem with you doing so. I'm going to kill any sour feelings I had towards you. This is a message board, and I would hope that you would express your feelings or justifications to the best of your ability.
HBAcura...any military experience?
Old 07-30-2003, 03:35 AM
HBacura
Racer

Originally posted by DoubleNutz
HBAcura...any military experience?
haha no. I don't know why all of a sudden I started saying "sir", I think I might have picked it up from a movie that I watched over the weekend. Since I couldn't enjoy driving around with the top down, I did stay bound to my house a little more than usual.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:18 AM
KJM3SMG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

HBAcura: "hey KJ, I haven't forgot about meeting up one weekend. As soon as I get my car repaired, I'll try to get up with you. I was qouted about 15-25 days, but he said most likely it will be much longer due to shipping in the parts."

Yes just let me know.. karl_garcia @ hotmail . com

DoubleNutz: "my current BMW 330i- now you want to talk about a trash car that EVERYBODY is driving... get a 3 Series Bimmer and you will know. "

I don't know how much of a lemon your car is, but the 3 series is a nice car, and people who go from BMW to Porsche say interior of the Porsche is spartan.

"Until the 996 saw an additional boost in HP in the 2002 the Boxster S challenged well with a respectable HP:Weight ration putting it pretty close to the 996 in many areas except in luxury and all around options for comfort and quality of interior build. For example- the term "very Boxsterish" was coined in 996 circles to imply somewhat cheap and lots of plastic. "

Also, you said Boxster interior is cheap.. well I disagree.. the 2 Boxster S's I've been inside of (my last 2) are the same as my boss's 996. He even said "wow I didn't know it was the same damn thing inside one of these things" when he rode in my car.

--------------------
KJ

CARS FORUM
- general car topics

Cars:
2002 BMW M3 SMG - 19", 8000k HIDs, Formula One tints, Naxxos fogs
2000 Porsche Boxster S - B&M short shifter, Naxxos xenons
Old 07-30-2003, 10:27 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Naw, sorry KJ I just came through two recently purchased 3 series BMW's and both were and still are simply crap cars. You can't sell me another one of those nor my wife who is stuck for another nine months with our current 330i lease. We simply cannot get rid of it fast enough and it seems that each month something else is broke on the thing...sorry but crap, crAP, CRAP the 3 series BMW is positively pitiful for the money.

As for the Boxster and 996 interior if you did not specify in a 996 the leather interior you got the plain old cheap plastic Boxster interior. My 996, for example has a factory carbon fiber and leather interior all through out even on my sport seats.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:26 AM
KJM3SMG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

like I said, you got a lemon... my M3 is perfect and so are the other BMW owner's (my friends) cars out there. Hell BMW ranks consistently high on Initial Quality Surveys and 3 year ones as well.. Just because you got a crappy car, doesn't mean all 3 series' are that bad. Come on dude, you know that. It wouldn't be called "legendary 3 series", benchmark for luxury entry level sedans for nothing by many magazines. It wouldn't score high on many books if all of them are like YOUR lemon.

"As for the Boxster and 996 interior if you did not specify in a 996 the leather interior you got the plain old cheap plastic Boxster interior. My 996, for example has a factory carbon fiber and leather interior all through out
even on my sport seats."

Ummm...that's like saying "My Apple G5 has a better mouse than my Apple G4.. i got the upgraded carbon fiber mouse....If you order the G5 without that option, you get the cheapo mouse that's the same as in the G4."

They have basically the same interior OPTIONS. Carbon Fiber interior adds thousands to a car. I can order that as well in the Boxster.. as well as the leather. Like I said, my boss who has a 996 said my Boxster interior is the same as his. He seemed disappointed *his* wasn't as upgraded as he thought it was.. or mine wasn't as lower scale than his.

Just pointing out that Boxster interior is basically the same as 996 interior.. options or not.

--------------------
KJ

CARS FORUM
- general car topics

Cars:
2002 BMW M3 SMG - 19", 8000k HIDs, Formula One tints, Naxxos fogs
2000 Porsche Boxster S - B&M short shifter, Naxxos xenons
Old 07-30-2003, 02:07 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

HBacura,no hard feelings...KJ,I agree the 996 and 986 interior (00'-present) are basically the same.The 97'-99' 986 had the cheap interior.I had a 99' and my 02' S interior is so much better.
Old 07-30-2003, 05:56 PM
Boxster 3.4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry for the lag.

Car has FVD sport cats and FVD headers and stock muffler. Sound is incredible. More rumble but not too loud at low speeds but over 5k it will make the hair on your neck tingle

It is a beautiful sound.

Quick Reply: Thinking about the 996 upgrade, need advice please