Sponsored by:

HELP! I'm considering buying a 2004 Boxster with 82k miles for $13K

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 04:10 PM
ClaimItBlog.org
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! I'm considering buying a 2004 Boxster with 82k miles for $13K

Im considering buying a 2004 Boxster with 82K miles. Is there anything i should check for maint. wise? I've checked the car fax and it has been serviced regularly at a porsche dealer. What are common issues around this mileage. I'm no mechanic so any info would help
Old 01-06-2014, 05:00 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,254 Posts

here you go - noodle through this. That price sounds pretty good too, if all checks out.
https://sites.google.com/site/mikefo...oxsterwebpages
Old 01-06-2014, 10:09 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

What is regularly? Every 5k miles or every 15k for the oil change?
Old 01-07-2014, 12:06 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

wow these things go for cheap nowadays!
Old 01-07-2014, 12:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaimItBlog.org
Im considering buying a 2004 Boxster with 82K miles. Is there anything i should check for maint. wise? I've checked the car fax and it has been serviced regularly at a porsche dealer. What are common issues around this mileage. I'm no mechanic so any info would help
What to check for maint. wise? That scheduled services were done on time or at the required miles. These include besides oil/filter services, plugs (due on miles or time), brake/clutch fluid flush/bleed (every 2 years), engine air intake filter and cabin air filter. With a 2004 it would be nice to find it had a coolant drain/refill but that's rare.

The issues a car manifests vary.

At 80K miles my 02 had a leaky RMS (25K miles) and was in the throes of a failing AOS. Shortly after a wheel bearing had to be replaced. But other owners report different issues, more or less issues.

All you can do is determine as best you can the car is worth owning, has no deal killing stories associated with it, has no current deal killing issues going on.

The 2004 Boxster is just a used car so treat it to a thorough used car check out.

Start with a test ride then drive. Visit the car cold and verify the dash lights come on including the CEL. Be sure the A/C is off. Start the engine and let it idle as you listen to the engine from outside the car from all points on the compass as the engine idles and warms up.

After 10 or more minutes then have the seller take you on a 15 mile test ride. The route should give the driver a chance to demo the car in a variety of ways.

Back at the starting point you take the car out as a driver, follow the same route, drive the car the same way.

If after your test drive you still like the car give it a thorough used car check out. Assume nothing works until you verify it does.

Then if you still like the car and believe you can buy it for an agreeable sum of money have the car PPI'd. This is done after the test ride/drive with the idea that any leaks will be more likely to be spotted after the vehicle has been used.

80K miles is not the end of the world for these cars. With proper care and some luck and attention to the "little" things these cars can be capable of big miles. My 02 has over 275K miles on its original engine and clutch. In fact save for the one wheel bearing, and a VarioCam solenoid/actuator the drivetrain and engine are original.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:12 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cheap to buy. Not cheap to maintain.

The shorter the list of repairs done on that 82K miler, the more things you'll be replacing. Unless its a warm weather car from SoCal, Florida, etc. Those seem to require much less work.

Major expenses around that mileage:
clutch/ims/rms/flywheel.
Shocks/control arms
Water pump/coolant tank/updated coolant cap.
rotors/pads.

None of these made it to 80K on my car. And all are ~$1,000-$3K repairs each if you're not a DIY'er.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:44 PM
ClaimItBlog.org
5th Gear

Default Thanks for all the help guys; I have the link to the car fax. Opinions?

So far (from the car fax, which doesnt show everything) says the following has been done (At 62k).
-Recommended maintenance performed
-Spark plug(s) replaced
-Fuel filter replaced
-Oil and filter changed
-Anti-theft/keyless remote battery replaced
-Drive belt(s) replaced
-Air and cabin filters replaced/cleaned

for the most part (72k miles) of the miles were in San Diego if that makes a difference. RIght now i have a 2010 bmw 328i so i know the cost will be expensive but i wil try and do some things on my own usch as brake pads. Nonetheless, here is the link to the car fax. let me know what you guys think

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...CA29804U620327
Old 01-09-2014, 05:48 PM
ClaimItBlog.org
5th Gear

btw its automatic. if that makes a difference

Quick Reply: HELP! I'm considering buying a 2004 Boxster with 82k miles for $13K