Starter Solenoid issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 11:40 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Starter Solenoid issue?

So I've noticed with winter approaching fast here that what was once a rare sound has become a bit more common. Upon starting my S in the morning I'm getting a strange whirring noise. I'm of the mind that somehow the Starter Solenoid is acting up and keeping the starter motor on longer than need be. Has anyone ever had a problem with this? It's true I've done a lot of work on the engine, but I'm leaning towards the Starter system. I'll be monitoring the camshaft derivations via Durametric to make sure I haven't somehow bungled the IMS change I did several thousand miles ago. I should add that other than the noise the car is wonderful as always.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:40 AM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

quite a few Boxsters do it. mine's done it once every 3 or 4 months for the last 4 years.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:48 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Davebrossi
So I've noticed with winter approaching fast here that what was once a rare sound has become a bit more common. Upon starting my S in the morning I'm getting a strange whirring noise. I'm of the mind that somehow the Starter Solenoid is acting up and keeping the starter motor on longer than need be. Has anyone ever had a problem with this? It's true I've done a lot of work on the engine, but I'm leaning towards the Starter system. I'll be monitoring the camshaft derivations via Durametric to make sure I haven't somehow bungled the IMS change I did several thousand miles ago. I should add that other than the noise the car is wonderful as always.
That's probably your secondary air injection pump and nothing to worry about. SAI is part of the emissions system and runs for about 30 seconds or so after startup (depends on temperature), injecting fresh air into the intentionally-rich exhaust to ensure full combustion until the cat and O2 sensors are up to temperature.

You can monitor SAI operations by the response of the O2 sensors if you're interested. If the sound stops and you instantly see O2 go from open-loop to closed-loop operation, that's your confirmation.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:22 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 102 Posts

Just got back to this. Thanks all! glad to know it's not one of those 'be very concerned, the pin has been pulled' noises :-) I'll put the Durametric on it during a cold start and see what happens.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
That's probably your secondary air injection pump and nothing to worry about. SAI is part of the emissions system and runs for about 30 seconds or so after startup (depends on temperature), injecting fresh air into the intentionally-rich exhaust to ensure full combustion until the cat and O2 sensors are up to temperature.

You can monitor SAI operations by the response of the O2 sensors if you're interested. If the sound stops and you instantly see O2 go from open-loop to closed-loop operation, that's your confirmation.
Agree with this. Reports of the type of noise the OP reported in his post upon the onset of cold weather are common and it is almost always the secondary air injection pump running. Additionally in colder temps cars transmit noises better so while the pump was probably running in warmer weather the noise is louder, more pronounced and gets noticed.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:27 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gear on the starter will make that noise. You can pull it and spray with wd40 or something similar. Doesn't seem to effect the performance of the starter.

Quick Reply: Starter Solenoid issue?