Sponsored by:

Key Fob Came Apart - Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 08:16 PM
eicheldp
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Fob Came Apart - Help

Hi, I was hoping to get some help / advice on my problem. Two weeks ago I bought a 2004 S with 15,000 miles. It's my first and I love the car. My problem is that I was dropping the car off to get detailed and the key fob came apart in my hand. I have the circuit board that was inside with the battery and I tried to reassemble it and snap it together but it wouldn't seal shut.

I have another key, but I would like to repair this one. Is there a secret to the reassembly? Any help to the newbie would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by eicheldp
Hi, I was hoping to get some help / advice on my problem. Two weeks ago I bought a 2004 S with 15,000 miles. It's my first and I love the car. My problem is that I was dropping the car off to get detailed and the key fob came apart in my hand. I have the circuit board that was inside with the battery and I tried to reassemble it and snap it together but it wouldn't seal shut.

I have another key, but I would like to repair this one. Is there a secret to the reassembly? Any help to the newbie would be greatly appreciated.
No secret AFAIK. Just be sure the circuit board is in properly -- the right way round and the right way up -- and the tiny o-ring is not hanging out and causing the two key module halves to not snap together.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:56 PM
eicheldp
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Macster
No secret AFAIK. and the tiny o-ring is not hanging out .
O-Ring...? Uh Oh. I'll see if I can find it. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wrestled with getting mine back together for an hour after replacing the battery with no success; a friend of mine snapped it back in place in 10 seconds. It must be magic.....
Old 11-22-2013, 11:58 AM
eicheldp
6th Gear

Thanks to Macster & Last930. Still trying to get the key together. May resort to a piece from e-bay.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:04 PM
jeff L
4th Gear

try snapping together without the circuit board in it to make sure housing is ok.
then open up again and place board in. it has to be seated just right to allow
tha case to close. very simple once you see it seated prpoerly.
good luck.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:10 PM
gfl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Its generally just a tight fit

words i put in to make the error checker happy

Originally Posted by eicheldp

Old 11-25-2013, 07:47 PM
eicheldp
6th Gear

Thanks all. I did finally get it back together. Don't know how it happened, it just snapped shut. I'm not asking any questions, just happy I don't have to buy a new one.

Quick Reply: Key Fob Came Apart - Help