Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Increase 986 chassis stability and enhance shifter feel and accuracy

Introducing new Rennlist site sponsor: FUNCTION-FIRST Performance

ENGINE MOUNT INSERT
986/987

The OEM engine mount was designed for ride comfort and is prone to sagging and tearing – above all, it is a detriment to performance. Its empty voids allow for too much engine movement, resulting in sloppy handling, numbed responsiveness, and imprecise shifting. Racecars utilize a solid metal mount to mediate this, which is impractical for street use as it transfers extreme noise and vibration into the cabin.

So how do you achieve the benefits of a solid mount while retaining daily drivability? Function-First Performance offers the only available solution for the Porsche Boxster and Cayman. Our durable urethane rubber insert fills and fortifies the empty voids of the OEM mount to prevent premature bushing wear and undesirable engine movement, all while transmitting minimal noise and vibration.

The result? Handling is taut and predictable; power delivery is immediate and smooth; gear changes are crisp and confident.

Installation can be completed with basic hand tools in about one hour. Pressing out the stock engine mount bushing is NOT necessary.

Please click here to order.

$130 + shipping

Comprehensive Shifting Solutions for your Porsche.

Last edited by Function-First; 11-18-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:52 PM
crooster
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Does this require the stock engine mount bushing to be in good shape?
Old 10-23-2013, 10:20 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Very good question, thank you for bringing that up - the OEM bushing can have sagged, but it must NOT be torn.

The inserts will prevent an OEM bushing from tearing and deforming, but once it is damaged beyond repair, the OEM bushing must be replaced.

Last edited by Function-First; 02-17-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:12 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

With the installation of the ENGINE MOUNT INSERT, you will be rewarded with improved shifting and enhanced performance. These benefits, however, come at the cost of some increased NVH, and we understand that this is the main concern for our existing and prospective customers.

I daily drive my car with the Insert, but I realize that my tolerance for the NVH increase may not be in line with others.

As such, we will now be offering a softer version in addition to the original stiffer version.

(987 model shown)

Choose between two hardness levels:
STREET - Yellow (70A) for less NVH *Softer version*
TRACK - Black (80A) for optimized performance *Original version*

There will still be some NVH transmittal with the STREET version, but it will be much more bearable for those wishing to keep their car purely streetable. For those interested more in the performance benefits, we still recommend the original TRACK version for spirited street driving, AutoX, and DE/Track.

If you already purchased an Insert and wish to exchange for the softer version, pls email us at sales@function-first.com to arrange for an exchange. Any other questions or concerns, pls feel free to email.

Thanks!

Old 02-17-2014, 08:59 PM
The French Dude
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone has some feedback about it ?
Old 02-17-2014, 10:22 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here is some feedback from the 987 forum for the TRACK insert:

https://rennlist.com/forums/11015076-post34.html
I did buy the motor mount and had my shop install it on my '11 Boxster S.

There is no track activity here in the Northeast but I have driven the car a bit on the street since the upgrade. My impression is that the car is a little bit noisier and there's a bit more vibration, AND that the handling is more crisp and immediate. I am NOT bothered by the additional noise and vibration but the radio is more difficult to hear at low volume.

The real proof of the pudding will come in the Spring when I get it on the track.

Quick Reply: Increase 986 chassis stability and enhance shifter feel and accuracy