Sponsored by:

obvious vacuum leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 01:33 PM
wmetais
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default obvious vacuum leak

As a fairly new owner of a 1999 Boxster, a friend of mine had an incident that I need to help fix. After having lowered the car, he hit something underneath the driver's side on a ramp going up to his garage. ( the garage is somewhat elevated... long story ).
Upon hitting this, immediately the engine started to not idle correctly. This lead me to believe that a vacuum line of some type had been broken. Upon closer examination I did find a line that runs behind the driver's side rocker panel was broken and leaking. As far as I can tell, I broke a flange which joined two lines in that area. Also on the ground after the damage was a black plastic " holder" of some type. The flange on the lines were broken too. They are a white type of collar. I was successful wrapping the lines together with electrical tape and the motor now idles just fine. My question is, what is this line? And, what does it do? I need to track down the parts to repair it properly. I didn't show a check engine light at any time. Thanks for your help identifying this.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:26 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

My WAG is the line is a gasoline vapor line based on your description of where it is.

The lines must be secured by more than tape. They should be secured in the manner they were when the car came from the factory. It is seldom a home mechanic can improve on this. If they are not secure properly the lines will move/flex and fail or what they connect to will fail from the flexing. In either case there will be another leak.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:41 PM
wmetais
Rennlist Member

Thanks so much. I just didn't know what parts to order because I couldn't figure out exactly what the line was and I see no part #s.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

You will probably have to visit a Porsche dealer parts department to have the counter person look up the part # for you. The online parts catalogs may not list/show every part and part #.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:31 PM
wmetais
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the advice. We'll do that. Just couldn't find an exploded view of the component anywhere.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:06 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does the brake pedal feel? There is a large line running back that is for the brake booster. If the pedal is hard that one is broken. There are also powersteering lines that run there.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:28 PM
hoophead
3rd Gear

It's the power brake vacuum line - I've had one break on my car. It was a bitch to find...

You have to order the whole front section of the line - that's the one that has the white connector. It feeds up into the front wheel well where it goes into the booster. Part number 996 355 571 05 for my '99.

Quick Reply: obvious vacuum leak