Sponsored by:

Code 1531 Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 08:31 PM
surfdwn
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Code 1531 Question

I just picked up this '99 Boxster with 68K miles on it a month ago. Last weekend, the CEL came on, with a 1531 code. The car runs and idles fine. I can clear the code and it will stay off for a while, but eventually returns.

I plan on looking at the wiring and connectors to see if there might be an issue there. If that checks out, I guess I am faced with the solenoid/actuator replacement, although I think at this point that I am getting a false CEL indication.

My question is: I need to drive this car 430 miles this weekend. Is there any risk with driving the car in this condition? If the CEL is tracking real problem, is my trip unwise?

My plan was to tear into it when I got back. I'm toying around with the idea of dropping the engine, replacing the solenoid and actuator, putting in a new clutch, and doing the IMS upgrade. I've dropped several 911 engines before, so I'm not afraid to do that to get great access to engine components.

Thoughts? I need to make this trip....

David Nolen
'99 Boxster
'70 911T

David Nolen

'99 Boxter
'70 911T
Old 08-13-2013, 09:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by surfdwn
I just picked up this '99 Boxster with 68K miles on it a month ago. Last weekend, the CEL came on, with a 1531 code. The car runs and idles fine. I can clear the code and it will stay off for a while, but eventually returns.

I plan on looking at the wiring and connectors to see if there might be an issue there. If that checks out, I guess I am faced with the solenoid/actuator replacement, although I think at this point that I am getting a false CEL indication.

My question is: I need to drive this car 430 miles this weekend. Is there any risk with driving the car in this condition? If the CEL is tracking real problem, is my trip unwise?

My plan was to tear into it when I got back. I'm toying around with the idea of dropping the engine, replacing the solenoid and actuator, putting in a new clutch, and doing the IMS upgrade. I've dropped several 911 engines before, so I'm not afraid to do that to get great access to engine components.

Thoughts? I need to make this trip....

David Nolen
'99 Boxster
'70 911T

David Nolen

'99 Boxter
'70 911T
I would not venture out with the car emitting a P1531 code. I drove my 02 Boxster just 30 miles with what proved to be a bad acuator/solenoid but I was in a major metro area (SF bay area) with good cell phone coverage and a number of tow truck companies to help me get the car to the dealer.

I drove cautiously avoiding rpms that triggered the VarioCam activation to avoid any unnecessary risk.

I was quite prepared to push in the clutch and shut off the engine at any time and coast to the shoulder if the engine sounded any sicker. It sounded fine by the way.

But I would not take a sick car out on the open highway.

Leave the sick Boxster at home and rent a car.

Try a new Challenger V8. I rented one a couple of months back it was a nice car. I could easily drive cross country in one let alone a few hundred miles.

Quick Reply: Code 1531 Question