Sponsored by:

Which Slave Cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 09:44 PM
santambrogio
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Slave Cylinder?

Clutch pedal on the floor today, towed the car back home and found a nice puddle of brake fluid under the car, so likely it is the slave cylinder.

This is a 2000 Boxster 5 speed, there are two kinds of slave cylinders I see one with a clip connector, back and a long neck at the connector to the fluid line, looks like plastic, and another type, silver and with a conventional screw in pipe connector to the master cylinder. I one for 5 speed and the other for 6 speeds? I am not finding clarification for this online.

Thanks
Old 07-13-2013, 01:15 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by santambrogio
Clutch pedal on the floor today, towed the car back home and found a nice puddle of brake fluid under the car, so likely it is the slave cylinder.

This is a 2000 Boxster 5 speed, there are two kinds of slave cylinders I see one with a clip connector, back and a long neck at the connector to the fluid line, looks like plastic, and another type, silver and with a conventional screw in pipe connector to the master cylinder. I one for 5 speed and the other for 6 speeds? I am not finding clarification for this online.

Thanks
My info is there's a clutch master cylinder located at the clutch pedal area and the slave cylinder is bolted to the transmission housing.

Get the Bentley Porsche Boxster Service Manual. IIRC it has a section on both clutch master and slave cylinder R&R.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:32 PM
santambrogio
7th Gear

Removed the slave cylinder, it is the plastic Sacks one, fluid was leaking rubber boot, in removing the booth the cylinder fell apart, the 4 plastic tabs that hold the cap against spring pressure fell, very little manipulation on my part, the 4 tabs are thin, I am assuming that the plastic has aged and become brittle, 13 years old part.

Ordered a replacement at local auto parts store and should be here tomorrow, the replacement is Power Torque brand not Shacks, I need to finish this weekend. The part is shared with Audi which might be why is its available, the local Porsche dealer wanted 2 days and $ 107.47, local auto store was $ 69.99.

Last edited by santambrogio; 09-16-2013 at 05:13 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:03 AM
santambrogio
7th Gear

An update, the metal part bought at parts store did not fit, the bolt does not align due to the tab on the transmission case not being the same shape as the bolt hole tab on the slave cylinder. Returned the part and bought a Sachs original part.

Another concern here, looking the at this and other forums, it could be that the clutch fork arm is cracked allowing the slave cylinder to overextend, breaking the plastic tabs that hold the piston seal retainer. The car has 94,000 (2000 5 sp.) miles the clutch is worn and so could be the release bearing and fork arm.

Quick Reply: Which Slave Cylinder?