Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracking a stock 01 Boxter, any issues?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 05:34 PM
justaguy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tracking a stock 01 Boxter, any issues?

Guys
My friend has stock 01 Boxter ( other than the newly installed roll cage) We plan to track the car and race it as well. Are there any engine oiling issues that need to be addressed and is it safe to track the car in stock form.

Thanks
Sean
Old 07-12-2013, 08:05 PM
provoste
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by justaguy
Guys
My friend has stock 01 Boxter ( other than the newly installed roll cage) We plan to track the car and race it as well. Are there any engine oiling issues that need to be addressed and is it safe to track the car in stock form.

Thanks
Sean

Yes, I'd suggest a thorough search in the 986 and racing/DE forums. Common themes: X51 style oil pan and accusump. Issues are related to low oil pressure/ starvation when stock 986/987 are on slicks in high sustained G corners.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:12 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Go look over at Planet-9 also. There are a lot more Caymans than Boxsters that are tracked, and the Cayman guys have a lot of data on oil starvation. The tribal wisdom is that hard braking followed by left turn with R-comp tires will cause low oil pressure. Get an Accusump and X51 as provoste suggested above. There is also a fix that involves additional oil scavenge pumps in the heads.

Good luck
Old 07-13-2013, 01:23 AM
justaguy
Rennlist Member

Thanks Guys.
Running on street tires this weekend. and I'll try and take it easy.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:42 PM
thstone
Instructor

Start with the X51 or EBS Racing oil baffle, definitely required. If you want to go all the way, install an Accusump, but only a few Spec Boxsters go that far.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:03 PM
gfl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are issues with oiling, but they only come into play with track tires and very good ( fast, high G) driving. There are many "fixes", with uncertain effect. A bigger sump with better baffles is the simplest, and likely the most effective. Other solutions have pumps, but there is reql question as to whether they begin to pump oil after the starvation has begun.

So, until you are on slicks and driving pretty slick too, you are likely safe. I would suggest oil that holds up well at sustained high temps - 15w50, but understand the caution you must take when it is cold. Thick oil is a major benefit, but is also a two edged sword.

Boxsters hold up well to track use if you:

1. change pads
2 change brake fluid
3 change oil

-- all to sustain higher temps --

and then use a semi-track tire (RA1, NT01, AD-08, etc)

safety stuff (roll bar extension, restraints, fire extinguisher, seats)

There are no simple answers, and fe of these are black/white issues.

Grant
Old 08-07-2013, 09:38 AM
tonythetarga
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

You may also find cooling an issue if you have not yet added a center radiator. My base '98 overheated the first time I tracked it and after installing a center rad it has been perfect, even on very hot days.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:41 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

how about upgrading the PS pump to a GT3 style?
Old 08-18-2013, 04:48 PM
gfl
Racer

Default or put a cooler on it....

steering pumps do overheat. Mostly need a cooler, nto a fancy rpelacement IMNSHO.

Grant

Originally Posted by judd944
how about upgrading the PS pump to a GT3 style?
Old 08-18-2013, 04:50 PM
gfl
Racer

Default The baffled pan is likely a good idea. The accusump..

well, i'd like more data. From what i hear, by the time it starts to scavenge, the damage is done. If it were a true full-time dry sump, that would be different, but its not.

Grant

Originally Posted by DOUGLAP1
Go look over at Planet-9 also. There are a lot more Caymans than Boxsters that are tracked, and the Cayman guys have a lot of data on oil starvation. The tribal wisdom is that hard braking followed by left turn with R-comp tires will cause low oil pressure. Get an Accusump and X51 as provoste suggested above. There is also a fix that involves additional oil scavenge pumps in the heads.

Good luck
Old 01-22-2016, 03:16 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by gfl
There are issues with oiling, but they only come into play with track tires and very good ( fast, high G) driving.
Grant
hmmmm !!!
After a certain amount of peaceful track days, without any "red flash" in the area of the oil pressure warning light, I decided (for the fun of better lap times) to replace the current (pretty new) hand cook v12 tires against something more sticky.
Before doing that, I put a deeper sump and changed my oem oil baffle with a "x51" type, i.e. with metal doors and better oil wall separation.
Then : bye-bye hand cook, hello NT01.
..And back to Laguna Seca!
No, Im quite far to be a fast guy there. Ok may be a decent grandfa !
the great point : the NT01 gave me an easy 6 seconds advantage per lap over the V12. But the bad point is clear : I have seen (very small ) red flashes on the dash board at a place that i did not like d at all !!!
Quite scary, and quite bad, as I can tell you that I have no plan to remove my nittos, except for some easy fun ride on open road, where I will put other wheels with pilot sport, ..to save a bit my great track tires (and be a bit more silent, as the nt01 do generate quit a noisy road rides !)
So : NO, no need to be a "fast guy". Even a grand fa can create oiling problem with R compound tires with a M96 engine aboard.

This lead to the next thing to do, keeping my nittos: I simply think that I have no othe choice, than : go accusumping !
I'm just thinking about how to do it in the simpler way, i.e. not removing the oil filter from where it is, as Im sure that long hoses could create a quite negative effect and lower the oil pressure..at the entry points in the engine.
So right now, im think about how to have a simple and efficient accusump installation.
Frankly, I do not think another better solution do exist !!
Old 01-22-2016, 03:33 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

btw, in any case, i would recommend, in first line of prio, to make a stop at Brey Krause, and get a roll bar. this will let you pass the classic Broom stick test, which is a very good point for your safety. I would aso recommand at least a 4 points harness, ..for the same reason !
And, as the car has pretty good brake, make sure that you flush your brake fluid and put a VERY good one, before going on track. I you llike your car, bubbles in the brake fluid is all but not a good friend at all.
And, YES, big time, the old Boxster S are simply fabulous track car.
I can tell you that, ..after 30 years non stop of (many) 911 as daily !
Old 01-22-2016, 10:44 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm headed to the track today for a weekend of fun in my bone stock 04 S.
I'm running Dunlop Star Spec and just make sure the oil is topped off

Of course full brake flush as well
Old 01-29-2016, 12:15 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

..How was it ?
What's about a little report, ..and some photos ?
Old 01-29-2016, 01:22 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The weekend at Chuckwalla was GREAT!
10 sessions, lots of seat time and great coaching
Chucky is a really fun safe track. Lots of places to go safely if you have to exit the track (I did not have to)

It is interesting in some of my practice laps, I had a little more speed on the front and back straights, over 105, but my overall lap time was at least 2 seconds better in the timed runs

In my timed runs, I set a club track record in my class!!

The video is not the best as the sun was going down and the camera did not do so well with the sun

Quick Reply: Tracking a stock 01 Boxter, any issues?