Sponsored by:

Help! Lots of water!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 05:04 AM
rbatt
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help! Lots of water!

Help! When I drive my 2003 2.7 in heavy rain I find lots of water in the front trunk. I have to remove the carpet and open up one of the two rubber bungs to let it out. I don't think that it's the drainage holes as this doesn't happen when the car is washed or sits stationary in heavy rain.

I took the front bumper off last weekend to clean the leaves from the radiators and I couldn't see anything amiss.

Any ideas?
Old 06-28-2013, 11:38 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by rbatt
Help! When I drive my 2003 2.7 in heavy rain I find lots of water in the front trunk. I have to remove the carpet and open up one of the two rubber bungs to let it out. I don't think that it's the drainage holes as this doesn't happen when the car is washed or sits stationary in heavy rain.

I took the front bumper off last weekend to clean the leaves from the radiators and I couldn't see anything amiss.

Any ideas?
You should still ensure the drains are clear. When water gets where it shouldn't those are at the top of the list as sources of unwanted water.

Look at the rubber seal that lines the trunk opening. Look for a crack, tear, break, or possible a hole (chewed by a mouse maybe?).

Be sure the seal is secure.

Be sure the seal presses against the underside of the trunk lid with sufficient and consistent force to create a good seal.

At the latch end be sure the trunk's leading edge is *below* the bumper cover's trailing edge. I forget the amount the lid wants to be below the bumper cover but it is substantial. More than one owner has adjusted this flush thinking the lower surface of the trunk was a mistake of some kind only to get a wind noise for his troubles. In heavy rain it is possible water could get into the trunk if the trunk lid is adjusted improperly.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:45 PM
rbatt
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a great reply!

I will look at all of those areas and let you know what I find.

Quick Reply: Help! Lots of water!