Sponsored by:

ABS, Speedometer, odometer, stereo, spoiler issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 12:55 PM
chache64d
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post ABS, Speedometer, odometer, stereo, spoiler issue

I have a 1998 Boxster. This morning my ABS light illuminated, the speedometer/odometer stopped working along with the stereo and the automatic spoiler. I read a thread from a fella with a different model porsche that had a very similiar problem. He said he reseated a connector that was located in the tool kit/spare tire area and everything worked as advertised. I looked in the compartment and could not find a connecter as he described. Can anyone offer any advice?? Thanks
Old 06-12-2013, 04:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by chache64d
I have a 1998 Boxster. This morning my ABS light illuminated, the speedometer/odometer stopped working along with the stereo and the automatic spoiler. I read a thread from a fella with a different model porsche that had a very similiar problem. He said he reseated a connector that was located in the tool kit/spare tire area and everything worked as advertised. I looked in the compartment and could not find a connecter as he described. Can anyone offer any advice?? Thanks
Not sure I've heard of that connector. The DME (engine controller) is in the rear of the car bolted I think to the forward bulkhead of the rear trunk. This might be -- very very rare -- loose and need re-seating. You have to be very very careful around this device. Static discharge to it and you'll wish you hadn't.

On a related note, any signs of dampness of the carpet on the floor along the sides of the doors? While the security module is located under the passenger seat and at risk from water intrusion if the water is coming into the dash area, getting the fuse box or relay box wet, this could account for the symptoms.

Really the symptoms read sort of like what I've encountered (once) when an alternator was bad (in another car, not mine, a Cayenne). The engine would start and run ok for a few minutes then the dash lights and other warning lights would act up and the engine would run poorly then die.

The tech told me the problem was the alternator was not able to supply the electrical power the vehicle needed even with the engine at idle with most parasitic loads off. The battery would take up the challenge for a while but as the voltage dropped while the engine continued to run systems more sensitive to the power drop were signaling something amiss.

Oh, wait I might know what connector was being referred to. I've been told that the ground connection from the battery to the body/chassis can build up some corrosion. The "fix" is to just loosen this connection, rotate the connector end a little to remove any corrosion (do not take apart and slather Vasoline or grease on it!) and then cinch it tight again. This corrects a marginal ground connection that can cause all sorts of weird electrical gremlins.

Quick Reply: ABS, Speedometer, odometer, stereo, spoiler issue