Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are ads for Boxters devoid of any mention of IMS repl?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 05:06 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Why are ads for Boxters devoid of any mention of IMS repl?

I'm looking at a Boxter and I am aware(not an expert) of the issues on the IMS failures. Absolutely none of the ads in general for sale locations mention the IMS replacement or service done.

I've asked a few dealers, and they just answer with 'huh?'.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:26 PM
williamr91
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am no expert however I've been looking at 996's and 986's for over a year, trying to get the exact one I want, with that being said, I think it is a very small amount of cars that are affected. Not many people come to forms and say how reliable and great they are, they come to tune, tinker, and FIX/troubleshoot issues for the most part. So much of what is out there are just bad things and issues, not that it is a wonderful car and pretty darn reliable.
The ones that have failed and people that are not on here, probably p,b and moan and just take the loss. People say Range Rovers (not LR as a whole) are troublesome, but at the same time there are not many good things people say on forms about them. I think it is similar, we just see so many posts about problems we thing most have or are bound to have the issue. I certainly hope I am right, because, I'd hate to drop some money on a 986 or 996 only to have the IMS fail in 4 months and spend equal amount of money I paid for the car to replace the engine.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:11 PM
gfl
Racer

3 reasons:

1. few sellers know much about the retrofit
2. few buyers know much abut the retrofit
3. those who replace the IMS likely plan to keep the car, or else they would just drive it and dump it

Grant
Old 04-25-2013, 01:13 AM
Audi Junkie
Instructor

Old 04-25-2013, 10:46 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

So, in order to avoid getting into one of these cars, is there a diagnostic test, or inspection that would reveal a car which is suffering from the IMS failure? I'll do some searching, but I'd like to know when I am buying that the car is going to have an issue with IMS failure or not.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:20 AM
Joe-B
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Other than metal on the oil filter element, there is no way to know if the IMS is failing, or will fail soon. When they fail they tend to do it quickly. The only way to know the car will not have an IMS failure is to replace the IMS bearing, and even this is no guarantee.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:04 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

It's kind of funny, but one of the avoidance techniques discussed is to change the oil often. I guess I don't get this having any affect on the bearing as it is supposedly sealed, and no oil should be getting in there. Not that there's anything wrong with changing the oil according to schedule or a bit sooner, but oil changes affecting a sealed bearing just don't make sense.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:43 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
It's kind of funny, but one of the avoidance techniques discussed is to change the oil often. I guess I don't get this having any affect on the bearing as it is supposedly sealed, and no oil should be getting in there. Not that there's anything wrong with changing the oil according to schedule or a bit sooner, but oil changes affecting a sealed bearing just don't make sense.
Knowledge is power & when negotiating, power is good. Search for more info about IMS issues & maintenance so when it comes time for you to pay for a PPI you know more about what you want.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:37 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Be aware that only a small percentage of the cars ever have an IMS problem and you can go broke doing replacements on the theory that some part might fail. So lots of folks don't want to spend to do a replacement. You, if you are worried, can buy a car that had the IMS replaced or buy at a price that allows you to replace the IMS.

You can also test for camshaft deviation with a Durametric to see if any IMS problem is starting to affect timing.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:43 PM
gfl
Racer

Default Sealed bearings and oil

Originally Posted by docmirror
If the bearings remained sealed, the grease would remain intact, and the problem would not likely exist. The problem is that the seal breaks down, the grease is washed out, and not enough splash lubrication may occur. I took out two. Both had the seal failing; one was pretty much failed.

The LN replacement is not sealed and is designed to catch oil. Pedro's Garage i hear ha one that is oiled.

Grant
Old 04-25-2013, 10:45 PM
58ceramicgreen
Track Day

I remember reading on Pedro's board the actual percentage of failed IMS engines is around 2%. That being said, the thought of my car ever failing never really crosses my mind. 2 kids...I have more important to worry about! I change my oil regularly with a good synthetic oil and smile everytime I get behind the wheel. Don't let the Internet scare you away from a really fun car.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:39 PM
recycled sixties
Advanced

1. Do your homework and study these 986 forums re anything to do with IMS.
2. You cannot run a Boxster for the of running costs of a Miata.
3. If you are worried about IMS failure then you can get the IMS Guardian which can give an indication of impending failure of the IMS.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:37 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gfl
If the bearings remained sealed, the grease would remain intact, and the problem would not likely exist. The problem is that the seal breaks down, the grease is washed out, and not enough splash lubrication may occur. I took out two. Both had the seal failing; one was pretty much failed.

The LN replacement is not sealed and is designed to catch oil. Pedro's Garage i hear ha one that is oiled.

Grant
I understand the failure mode. What I don't understand is the relationship to oil changes. If there is not enough lubrication to get into the bearing, then changing oil would have no effect on the failure mode.

Not being obtuse, but again, the failure mode relation to oil change isn't related.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:41 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by recycled sixties
1. Do your homework and study these 986 forums re anything to do with IMS.
2. You cannot run a Boxster for the of running costs of a Miata.
3. If you are worried about IMS failure then you can get the IMS Guardian which can give an indication of impending failure of the IMS.
1. I am doing my homework. I've been to LNs website, Flat 6 innovations, etc.
2. I, nor no one else mentioned running one on the cost of a Miata. However, I can assure you that the running cost will be lower than my Ferrari, or Lamborghini, or airplane.
3. If I were to get a Boxster, the first thing I would install is a Guardian. If I can buy the LN retrofit bearing and install tool, that would be next on the list.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:21 PM
58ceramicgreen
Track Day

Wow..nice to see a guy with a Ferrari and a Lamborghini in his stable interested in a boxster but I have to ask..you obviously have some financial competence..why a used Boxster with pontential used problems? The new Box is one sweet looking car and has full warranty!

Quick Reply: Why are ads for Boxters devoid of any mention of IMS repl?