Sponsored by:

Trunk opens when I unlock the doors

Old 04-18-2013, 09:41 AM
superkrazie
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk opens when I unlock the doors

Hi,
Just this morning, my trunk started opening whenever I unlock my doors (using key fob, haven't tried unlocking manually yet). However, It does not happen when I lock my doors. Also, if I turn on the car and close the trunk, it will open again when I start to drive. Along with this, the front trunk no longer is opening when I use the side panel on the driver's side, but still opens with the key fob. I have removed my radio to have a new one installed, so I was thinking that maybe this might be causing it somehow, but it has been out for a week and the problem started this morning. Also, it has been particularly rainy for the past few days, but my car has been in the garage. Please let me know if anyone has had a similar problem and how you fixed it. Thank you very much
!
Old 04-18-2013, 09:46 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Fresh batteries in your key fob?

Any water under the passenger seat?
Old 04-18-2013, 11:38 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by superkrazie
Hi,
Just this morning, my trunk started opening whenever I unlock my doors (using key fob, haven't tried unlocking manually yet). However, It does not happen when I lock my doors. Also, if I turn on the car and close the trunk, it will open again when I start to drive. Along with this, the front trunk no longer is opening when I use the side panel on the driver's side, but still opens with the key fob. I have removed my radio to have a new one installed, so I was thinking that maybe this might be causing it somehow, but it has been out for a week and the problem started this morning. Also, it has been particularly rainy for the past few days, but my car has been in the garage. Please let me know if anyone has had a similar problem and how you fixed it. Thank you very much
!
I have to go with the last thing touched is the first thing suspected and that's the radio job. Double check the installation.

Be sure too the battery is ok. The battery could have been drained down by a new radio install that puts a parasitic electrical load on the battery all the time.

My second guess would be water intrusion but you say the car has been parked out of the weather.

Still as another poster advised I'd second his excellence advice and check for moisture. The water could have accumulated before you parked the car in the garage.

Be aware a faulty ignition switch can cause weird electrical gremlins.

The only time I have experienced inexplicable electric gremlins with my Boxster is once when I'd lock the car with the button on the key fob the car would lock but beep. The rear trunk was open.

I did a bit of investigating -- fancy word for starting at the key fob and wondering what in the heck was going on -- and after a while noticed the key fob rubber membrane had broken down and cracked/split and got folded/wrinkled and this was somehow keeping a button pressed.

I separated the key fob case and sorted out the membrane which solved the immediate problem then ordered a new key fob.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:45 AM
LexVan
Banned

I got the impression that the stock radio is out, and the potential new radio is not in yet. But I could be wrong. This still could be the problem too, because the alarm system could be looking for the radio, and causing the other related issues. If a new radio is in, the same problem could result because the new head is not communication with the alarm.

If you have water and moisture under your seat, clear your AC drain and your cabrio top drains.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:57 AM
superkrazie
4th Gear

No new batteries in the key fob, and the new radio is not yet in. I will check for any moisture when I get home later. I think this could definitely be a problem because I had the top down in the garage since I was working on the radio.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:01 PM
LexVan
Banned

The electrical boxes under the passenger are very $$$$. If you have moisture there, hopefully you can save them. You might be able to remove them and pack them in dessicant (or even white rice) in a sealed container, and pull the moisture out in a few days.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:10 PM
superkrazie
4th Gear

I didn't feel any moisture on the floor so maybe it was just from moisture in the air. I will make sure to check it out and try to dry everything out.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:13 AM
superkrazie
4th Gear

I dried everything out and it all works again. Thanks a lot for the help! :-) I think it was because there was so much moisture in the air for so long.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trunk opens when I unlock the doors