Sponsored by:

tiptronic fluid service

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 02:19 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default tiptronic fluid service

my wife's 2002 Boxster has been showing some shift issues, i.e. hanging up in a certain gear before finally shifting to the next one up. I've considered doing a fluid/filter change on the tiptronic transmission. After looking at a post with pics on planet 9, they stated that about 6 quarts of fluid are needed but other posts state that 7 to 9 litres are used. Does anyone out there have the REAL dope on what is required? There's only 32k miles on the car but I don't believe that contaminated or lack of fluid can be ruled out.

Are there other ideas on alternative things that could cause this problem? It's not temperature sensitive and doesn't appear to be throttle position vs acceleration curve associated.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:40 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
my wife's 2002 Boxster has been showing some shift issues, i.e. hanging up in a certain gear before finally shifting to the next one up. I've considered doing a fluid/filter change on the tiptronic transmission. After looking at a post with pics on planet 9, they stated that about 6 quarts of fluid are needed but other posts state that 7 to 9 litres are used. Does anyone out there have the REAL dope on what is required? There's only 32k miles on the car but I don't believe that contaminated or lack of fluid can be ruled out.

Are there other ideas on alternative things that could cause this problem? It's not temperature sensitive and doesn't appear to be throttle position vs acceleration curve associated.
Filling capacity is approx.9l. Change quantity is approx. 3.5l.

<Some steps skipped>

After draining fluid top up with Porsche ATF until excess runs from the filler hole.

With Tip in Park "allow engine to idle". With engine running top up ATF until excess AT emerges from the ATF filler hole.

With brake pedal depressed select all Tip selector positions hold each position for 10 seconds. Check and top up ATF again.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:11 PM
gfl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it should be filled at 40 degC, not just "running and warm"

Dunno if its that critical.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by gfl
it should be filled at 40 degC, not just "running and warm"

Dunno if its that critical.
My take if it is stated it is critical.

Thus there's some stuff I left out which I was probably remiss but I didn't want to get into a typing in the whole section on changing Tip fluid.

Anyhow, one of the things I left out was a note that "All instructions and test conditions for 'Checking and topping up ATF fluid' should be observed."

I bet in that the Tip fluid temp if critical is indeed covered.

Quick Reply: tiptronic fluid service