Sponsored by:

ims talk has me scared to buy nice 05 s

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 PM
kriss
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ims talk has me scared to buy nice 05 s

found a nice 1 owner o5 s at a porsche dealer but all the ims talk has me scared to pull the trigger..help!!
Old 12-12-2012, 08:55 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First, think about why you're afraid. Have you searched this forum for how other owners have dealt with the IMS bearing problem?

If you don't want the risk and/or cost of having to replace the IMS bearing, then perhaps you shouldn't buy the car?

A car with a CPO warranty might "calm you nerves" and...the 2009 and newer Boxsters apparently don't have this IMS problem.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:34 AM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Better not buy any car because even the best have some latent problem. Used to be that product cycles were long and bugs would get detected, diagnosed and the late models would be better. Today's product cycles are approaching cellphone cycles and so problems slip through. My worst car reliability experiences were with cars that had excellent reliability ratings.

The IMS problem happens to relatively few but is a big emotional and financial hit to those it does affect and so we hear about it with much emotion attached to the reports. Plus we care about our cars and so we know lots more about our cars than the owners of any other brand. With what other brand would you find user developed posted lists of the problem areas or the best and worst aspects of owning a brand/model car.

Just think of part failure (any part) as happening on a bell curve when you plot mileage versus failure rate. There are those that fail at 10k and others going strong at 250k miles. And some in between.

Owned 2, extremely cheap to maintain and reliable cars for me. Wonderful experience. Can't say the same for my 3 previous roadster/sports-cars.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:55 AM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Retrofit the IMS, or get the IMS Guardian and experience the joy of driving these cars.

It is your decision to make. Enjoy it, or wonder what it is like to have one on a day to day basis as some other lucky soul drives by with a grin on his face.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Joe-B
Track Day

I just went through the same thing. I decided to bite the bullet and buy a beautiful 2003 S. Life's too short to let worrying ruin my enjoyment; I really wanted a Boxster and found a great one. I plan to have the IMS retrofit done for peace of mind in March (the car's in storage until then) when I'll be in Pasadena, CA. (Scientific Automotive, a "Preferred Installer"). Remember, on these forums you tend to hear a lot about issues and problems, and not so much about all the great fun and trouble-free miles the vast majority of owners experience.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:07 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Remember, on these forums you tend to hear a lot about issues and problems, and not so much about all the great fun and trouble-free miles the vast majority of owners experience.
+1 Purchase the car that makes you happy and get the IMS retrofit done.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:47 PM
nathan_h
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kriss
found a nice 1 owner o5 s at a porsche dealer but all the ims talk has me scared to pull the trigger..help!!
Figure the IMS retrofit into the cost of ownership. And proceed. Depending on the mileage you probably want a new clutch, anyway.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:08 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was just reading up on the new permanent IMS Solution retrofit. Sounds like it's going to cost about $2200 with labor. Or you can do the current retrofit that runs about $1200 if you don't do the clutch/flywheel. Either way, add that cost to the purchase price. Based on what I've read over 8,000 cars have had the retrofit and of those only like four went down mostly due to human error so those costs were not entirely on the owner. My personal mechanic says he's done over 300 with no issues since.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

From the sounds of it more than likely you will be out of warranty if the IMS fails. Something to consider..
Old 12-15-2012, 05:34 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

As I understand it the "Permanent" IMS is not generally available now, only one installer and there are some restrictions on who can get one. What it is and how it works is perhaps a month away from public documentation per a recent posting from Jake.

Plus I'll state my usual warnings on a new product, ask how many have been installed and how many miles they have been tested. I know it has been in development for a long while and there are a few out there but is that enough of a sample to give you a feeling that it will really be a permanent solution? And do you want to spend that much on one point of possible failure when there are 23 others that could potentially bite you?

All these failure points I speak of have happened to somebody but their frequency is awfully small.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:17 PM
gfl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Agree with mike and when the clutch is out...

... Do the IMS with an LN. My '04 is very reliable and cheap to keep all things considered. I did the IMS when i did my last clutch, and consider it done for life. Others disagree, btu that's, IMO, crazy. About another $1000+ when the clutch is already out.

Grant

Originally Posted by mikefocke
Better not buy any car because even the best have some latent problem. Used to be that product cycles were long and bugs would get detected, diagnosed and the late models would be better. Today's product cycles are approaching cellphone cycles and so problems slip through. My worst car reliability experiences were with cars that had excellent reliability ratings.

The IMS problem happens to relatively few but is a big emotional and financial hit to those it does affect and so we hear about it with much emotion attached to the reports. Plus we care about our cars and so we know lots more about our cars than the owners of any other brand. With what other brand would you find user developed posted lists of the problem areas or the best and worst aspects of owning a brand/model car.

Just think of part failure (any part) as happening on a bell curve when you plot mileage versus failure rate. There are those that fail at 10k and others going strong at 250k miles. And some in between.

Owned 2, extremely cheap to maintain and reliable cars for me. Wonderful experience. Can't say the same for my 3 previous roadster/sports-cars.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:42 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

The guy is considering an '05 which may have a gen 2 IMS or it may have a gen 3 and no real way of telling. If a gen 3, very few reports of failures on normally driven cars. If a rev 2, my guess at a 1% per car/year failure rate makes it a reasonable bet to wait till the clutch change, examine the IMS support structure when the trans is off and, at that point, determine if you have a gen 2 or 3. If gen 2, do one of the LN/Flat6 IMS bearing replacements available at the time. If gen 3, just do the clutch as only a very few replacements for the gen 3 have been sold by the only source last time I checked.

Every car has its weak points and every part will fail at some time between here and eternity.

Quick Reply: ims talk has me scared to buy nice 05 s