Sponsored by:

Good indy mechanic in the Chicago area? Probably need an engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 05:14 AM
Devildog2067
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Good indy mechanic in the Chicago area? Probably need an engine swap

My 2001 986 with 72k miles on it blew up on Friday on the way home from work... I was in the express lanes northbound on I-94 when the temp gauge spiked. Unfortunately there wasn't a safe place to stop for almost two more miles, so I drove it a couple of minutes. I turned on the heat but didn't get any, which I think is a bad sign (not enough coolant left to heat the radiator, right?). By the time I was able to pull over and stop there was steam coming out and a bit of coolant dripping--not much, but I assume the rest got vomited onto the road somewhere.

I had it towed to the Porsche dealer and they're going to look at it Monday, but given that I wasn't able to stop immediately I'm worried that the news won't be good.

Hopefully, they'll call me and tell me all it needed was time to cool down, refill of coolant and an oil change, but probably that ain't gonna happen (the coolant had to go somewhere after all). If it turns out I have a blown motor, my options are

1) Sell it as is (not worth much, but more than zero)

2) Replace engine with a used or rebuilt (here's where I need the indy mechanic) (maybe I'll throw a 3.2 in there?)

3) have dealer fix it (probably not gonna be worth it, given the value of the car)

Before #2 is even remotely an option, I need to know if there's a good indy mechanic in the Chicago area that could do the swap for me. I no longer live in a place where I have room to do it myself, and I don't have the time any longer.

Anyone have someone they know/trust/recommend? I'd hate to give up on this car, I've had it for 9 years now, we've had some good times together.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:09 AM
autopc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend has a 2000 996 and has this happen to him also. He is in the process if researching cost for a new engine and qualified indy Porsche mechanic in the Chicago area. I will get back to you after taking to him. Best of luck.

Quick Reply: Good indy mechanic in the Chicago area? Probably need an engine swap