Sponsored by:

Intake vent re-installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 07:51 PM
ep3_lol
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intake vent re-installation

So tonight I did the "snorkel delete" on my 986. It sounds great, but I can't seem to get the intake vent to fit properly. This is where it is now:

I don't believe the gaps were noticeable and the screw was definitely not offset like that. Has anyone gotten this thing back on correctly? There some trick to it?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:51 PM
BoxsterSteve
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ep3_lol,

I'd be curious if you could offer up some advice on how to get to the snorkle in the first place. I get as far as removing the screw and bail out for fear of breaking the something. I know this isn't why you posted but insight would be much appreciated.

Steve
Old 11-19-2012, 08:59 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Can't really tell what's wrong by the pic, but you just have to manhandle both pieces, they are tougher than you think!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:57 PM
ep3_lol
Racer

Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve
ep3_lol,

I'd be curious if you could offer up some advice on how to get to the snorkle in the first place. I get as far as removing the screw and bail out for fear of breaking the something. I know this isn't why you posted but insight would be much appreciated.

Steve
The slats are a separate piece that are attached to the painted piece. Once you pop them off, the two pieces can be removed fairly easily. I've marked in blue below where the tabs approximately are, just push on each of these spots one at a time (pretty hard) and they will pop off. Mine is 10 years old now, and the plastic withstood significant pressure without breaking. They will bend pretty easily if you are pushing on the wrong place at the top (the bottom won't), so keep trying until you get a spot that won't move.

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
Can't really tell what's wrong by the pic, but you just have to manhandle both pieces, they are tougher than you think!
I've marked in red the areas I'm talking about. You can see some of the foam on the left, and the fitment is just bad on the upper right. Also, the screw is crooked. A friend doing his at the same time actually broke the tab on the lower left of the painted piece when he was removing it so I'm a little wary.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:05 PM
ep3_lol
Racer

So I took a good look at the other side with a flashlight and noticed that it had the same "problems", so I think I'm gonna leave it be.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:51 PM
BoxsterSteve
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I feel better about not breaking something now...
Old 11-22-2012, 01:11 AM
Audi Junkie
Instructor

The shroud doesn't really seem to fit flush anyway.

Here's mine after some tweeking...

Quick Reply: Intake vent re-installation