Sponsored by:

Fault Code P0740, 99 Tiptronics

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 11:08 AM
US928
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fault Code P0740, 99 Tiptronics

Hi Guys, Got a PO740 Fault code, i have 75k on the car, 99 base model Tiptronics, any ideas what can it be? Car shifts and runs good, i erased the code but comes back after 2 or 3 miles of driving, i haven't change the transmission fluid, can it be a low fluid level. also how can i check it.
Thanks
Old 10-14-2012, 02:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by US928
Hi Guys, Got a PO740 Fault code, i have 75k on the car, 99 base model Tiptronics, any ideas what can it be? Car shifts and runs good, i erased the code but comes back after 2 or 3 miles of driving, i haven't change the transmission fluid, can it be a low fluid level. also how can i check it.
Thanks
Anytime there is an issue with the Tip you should check the fluid level though I do not know how to do this.

If it is down (say .5 quart?) you should have the level adjusted. But if it is down this suggests a leak unless the level was a bit low to begin with.

To be thorough the car should be lifted in the air and the Tip and surrounding areas checked for any signs of fluid leakage.

An argument can be made to change the fluid now vs. waiting until IIRC 90K miles but I've been told that if the Tip is truly sick a fluid change seems to accelerate the Tip's demise. 'course no one can say how long the sick Tip would have lasted without the fluid change and what appears to be premature failure could have just been when it would have occurred anyway.

Were it my car I think I'd opt for a fluid change, unless my tech advised against it. Even then I'd have to listen to his reasons to make up my mind.

By having the fluid changed, I'd want to either have the issue cleared up or know the Tip was sick and likely to get sicker so I could prepare to have the Tip fixed on my schedule and not that of when the Tip decided to fail outright.

Besides chances are quite good even if the Tip is sick and due to get siker the Tip is a good candidate for a rebuild if while it is sick it hasn't suffered any real damage.

If the Tip is used until it clearly fails this can render the unit unrepairable and then the cost of dealing with this goes up.

My tech acquaintances tell me the Tip is a ZF transmission and there are enough cars with ZF transmissions that there are shops around that can do a good job of rebuilding these.

But it is up to you and your tech if you want to change the fluid vs. just topping it up if the level is low.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:46 PM
US928
Advanced

Thanks for the reply, If the trans going bad shouldn't i have a problem shifting? i don't see any difference in shifting, it changes gear fine. i noticed very small drips of oil seems right under the engine from a month ago, went under the car but couldn't find anything, i know it wasn't a motor oil. maybe its from trans. when i park the car i would see the oil leak in size of a quarter on the floor.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:19 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by US928
Thanks for the reply, If the trans going bad shouldn't i have a problem shifting? i don't see any difference in shifting, it changes gear fine. i noticed very small drips of oil seems right under the engine from a month ago, went under the car but couldn't find anything, i know it wasn't a motor oil. maybe its from trans. when i park the car i would see the oil leak in size of a quarter on the floor.
Shifting problems are not always the symptoms of a failing Tip.

The Tip is behaving out of character. You noticed it. You were concerned enough to ask about it.

The question is why is it acting up. Low on fluid and with a suspected Tip fluid leak this has to be a real possibility. Or some part or controller acting up. Or a break down of the fluid or perhaps a filter that is interfering with the fluid's flow or pressure.

You need to know the answer so you can do the right thing and no more, but no less either.

A Tip rebuild when all that was required was a fluid change is an expensive mistake.

OTOH, a Tip fluid change when the Tip needs a rebuild is just wasting money.

My WAG is if the leak is real and it is Tip ATF the Tip needs more than a top up of fluid, it needs more than a drain/refill with fresh fluid and a new filter.

Either the top up in fluid or the drain/refill with fresh fluid might resurrect the Tip, for a while, but the leak (again if it is a Tip fluid leak) suggests a real problem is brewing in the Tip.

OTOH, still assuming the Tip is leaking fluid there are areas from outside the Tip that the fluid can leak from so the leak may not be a sign of something deeper in the Tip going bad.

Now I must stress I have not owned a Tip car and I have not had a real incentive to try to keep up on Tip issues, odd symptoms and such.

So, you need to speak to someone who has preferrably because it is his job and he's very good at it and thus can advise you what is your best course of action.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:02 AM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tips have a Problem with the front pump seal. The seal goes bad, fluid leaks out Trans goes to crap. The leak is out of the front of the gearbox. Sounds like it may be what's going on. You can check the fluid level pretty easy. Car needs to be warm and running in park. Dead center in the rear there is a plug, 14mm Allen head. The fluid should just drip out if at the right level. I forget the exact temp but needs to be properly warmed up to get an accurate reading.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:04 AM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is what the OBD II manual says for fault P0740:
P0740 - Torque converter clutch, excessive power consumption.
Possible fault cause
- Torque converter clutch not functioning
Old 10-16-2012, 08:57 AM
BostonDuce
Racer

Tip fluid check @ 80-100 degrees F.

BD
Old 11-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Zaxatac
2nd Gear

did this ever get a solution? I am having the very same code with my 2000. My friend and I changed the filter and the fluid, the code returns as a pending code. Possibly something electrical with the number 4 solenoid...any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Fault Code P0740, 99 Tiptronics