Unable to open driver door from outside

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 01:02 AM
mwest
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unable to open driver door from outside

Could not find any postings re:this problem
Driver door on '02 Boxster will not open from outside. Will not open whether locked, unlocked, with key or remote. No problem opening from inside.
I am guessing this is a mechanical problem. Some kind of disconnect from handle to lock mechanism. Anyone have and solve this problem?
Old 09-23-2012, 12:19 AM
mwest
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the door fixed today. My wife no longer has to climb through the open window or over the door with the top down or through the passenger side and over the center console.
A friend who is a master Porsche tech more or less knew what the problem probably was. He was right. What a PITA this was to fix, even for someone who has done this before. A minuscule pin/screw that holds the mechanism that connects the door handle to the lock in place, is held in place by a very tiny C clip. This clip had worn out and popped off.
Even for a guy that knew what he was doing this took a few hrs. The trim panel had to come off, the airbag had to be tied off out of the way. The panel holding the speaker had to come off, the door handle and various parts attached to it had to come off. The module and switch controlling the mirrors had to come off. Then you have to deal with these microscopic parts, the pin and the C clip.
All I can say is: What a PITA and glad he did it and not me.

Quick Reply: Unable to open driver door from outside