Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential 99 Boxster Purchase - Your Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 12:44 AM
b5audia4
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential 99 Boxster Purchase - Your Thoughts?

Hey Guys,

Test drove a 1 owner 1999 986 with 108k km (about 67.5k miles) today. Will get a PPI @ indy if I can come up with a reasonable offer to owner:

- Replacement factory engine at 48k km (30k miles) in 2001 under warranty (owner did not keep record, but could possibly get from dealership)
- 60k miles major service overdue
- cambelt and waterpump never replaced
- F+R brakes all at 10% only
- 1 wheel bearing loud
- will need alignment
- last brake fluid change appears to be from 2002
- Coolant tank replaced
- Clutch replaced
- no splits in plastic rear screen
- body and interior both good for age

My self diagnostic PPI tells me is really behind in maintenance. But is 1 owner and potentially can get old records - has replacement engine and clutch change.

What do you think is a reasonable offer "as is"?
Old 08-08-2012, 03:16 PM
ep3_lol
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not too far above $10,000US (if that even) if prices are still what they were a year ago when I bought mine. The mileage is decent for the age, and the motor has even less. But the fact that the brakes have been neglected is a big red flag to me, that's one of the easiest and most important components to keep up. Who knows what else has been neglected. I'd rather take my chances with a multi-owner car than a single owner when I know that one owner, that's had the car since new, hasn't taken good care of it. I have a friend that bought an 8 owner SN95 Mustang and he hasn't had any issues at all...don't let the "single owner" pitch make you think it's somehow worth more money.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:14 PM
98Boxster
Instructor

yea, right around $10k (US). No more. why wouldn't the owner keep the receipt of the new engine!?? No timing belt on the car, it's a timing chain. no need to replace the water pump, let alone for one that only has 37k miles on it after the new engine was put in!

What color combo is it? How are the tires (tread and age)?
Old 08-08-2012, 05:39 PM
b5audia4
Burning Brakes

I meant the serpentine belt. Do any of you guys know if the remanufactured Porsche engine literally comes with everything (including the belt/waterpump)?

The local dealership never fully stamped his maintenance book while under warranty and he didn't have any of the warranty work receipts. But he has everything after. Odd I know.

Is Guards Red/Black Interior - the body and interior I have to say is in good shape. And yes, will need new tires. The neglection of maintenance bugs me.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:44 PM
b5audia4
Burning Brakes

Has anyone with a remanufactured engine fail (I think I only found one from search)?

Anyone do an LN Engineering upgrade on remanufactured engine?
Old 08-08-2012, 09:22 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

I think I see about $3500 minimum to get the car to well maintained status with new tires. I bought a 2001 with 42k on it and put that into it easy in the first month but an excellent PPI and mechanic meant I almost put nothing else into it the next 5 years. Also had a 1999 and loved it.

When was the engine put in, if it was pre-2006 you can do the easy IMS update.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:20 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The first # that popped into my mind was $9K (US). At least in the US, there are plenty of Boxsters available to risk going with a car with so many stories and potential risks. Of course, you could call the dealer and see what records they show. Maybe the owner is just an idiot.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:24 PM
b5audia4
Burning Brakes

When I saw the ad, and send the inquiries - it had so much potential because claim of full service history. But once I reviewed the records in detail, I realized it was so behind in maintenance.

I just started looking - so I am sure something will come up. There are quite a few on market - but many are dogs with crazy asking prices.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:53 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

The colder it gets, the cheaper they get ... the more desperate the sellers get ... the cheaper they get ... the more that are available ... the cheaper they get ... the more that get traded for the 981 ...

Quick Reply: Potential 99 Boxster Purchase - Your Thoughts?