Sponsored by:

Boxster bleeding question

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 09:19 AM
John Burr
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster bleeding question

The process for bleeding systems with a bleeder valve is pretty well documented. However, I'm not sure about one detail.

From the post i have read, After running the car and coolest is pulled into the system, the bleeder valve is still to be in the up position. It them directs the user to open the fill cap if the level is too low. After observing the level being low, I opened the fill cap and the pressure release allowed the level to come back to normal. I closed the fill and valve at this point? Is this the correct sequence/normal?

Also, while it appears to be common that these can burp/vent off coolant, is this usually a sign of something else being wrong (thermostat, cap, bleeder valve)?
Old 06-27-2012, 06:09 AM
Stephen Tinker
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

John
You can run with the bleed valve open for several engine heating / cooling cycles without detriment.
Just make sure that the coolant is cool and is between the upper/lower marks on the coolant tank when checking level & toppng off.
I found that it took a few cycles with the valve open to get the correct level (burp all the air out of the system) before things settled down.

Quick Reply: Boxster bleeding question