Sponsored by:

Exhaust smoke issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 02:08 AM
vigor
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Exhaust smoke issues

Ever since I changed from regular oil to synthetic, my car started to smoke (white). I drained the system, added regular oil again, with a BlueDevil treatment and voila! That fixed the issue.

Anyone ever experience something like this?
Old 06-20-2012, 03:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by vigor
Ever since I changed from regular oil to synthetic, my car started to smoke (white). I drained the system, added regular oil again, with a BlueDevil treatment and voila! That fixed the issue.

Anyone ever experience something like this?
If you have been running non-synthetic oil for a while the engine may have suffered piston/ring/cylinder/valve guide/stem wear. Valve stem/guide seals may have been compromised as well.

Switching to a synthetic oil with its better flow characteristics could have allowed the oil to flow through these worn areas and into the combustion chambers and the smoking is the result.

The engine is supposed to have synthetic oil. No mineral oil is approved for use in these engines by the maker (Porsche naturally) of the engines.

I hope for your sake and that of the engine the smoking was likely just due to the engine's propensity to smoke upon start up.

This smoking is influenced by several factors that involve how briefly the engine was run before; the level of the oil; the miles (amount of contamination) the oil has.

I do not know anything about the BlueDevil treatment you spoke of but Porsche does not specify any oil additive.

Apparently the approved oils are fine just as they come from the bottle. Only a sub-standard oil requires an additive.

I urge you to reconsider the choice of oil and switch back to a full synthetic and of course an approved oil.

That you have used a non-synthetic oil means that the synthetic oil you are switching back to is not miscible with the non-synthetic oil and an oil flush should be considered. According to Porsche only approved oils are miscible.

This flush can be something as simple (relatively speaking) as draining the mineral oil from the engine, replacing the filter, then of course refilling the engine with the proper amount of an approved oil.

Then run the engine until warm then raise the rpms to say 3K and hold for a few seconds then let the engine idle a minute and repeat this several times.

Shut off the engine and let it sit for say 30 minutes. The oil will cool some so the chances of you getting burned by the hot oil is reduced.

Then drain the oil again and change the filter and replace the oil with another fill of synthetic.

Done. Oh, leave the BlueDevil oil treatment on the shelf.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Exhaust smoke issues