Sponsored by:

Engine Blower Fan Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 04:00 PM
spex
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine Blower Fan Boxster

Ok, so my engine compartment blower fan no longer comes on. It always comes on religiously for a few minutes when I park in my garage. So, first thing I thought, must be a bad fan since it's a '99 Boxster. Nope checked that with a spare battery connected and it spins like mad. Checked footwell fuse and it is ok, has 12V. So I jumped positions 30 and 87 on the fan relay in the trunk area and the fan comes on. Hmmm, so I bought a new relay thinking the micro-switch was cooked. Still nothing. I bought a new temp sensor for the engine bay (even though thermocouples rarely go bad, you engineers know what I mean). Nope still doesn't work. I took a heat gun and heated the temp sensor and nothing.

Any ideas to try?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 05-28-2012, 12:53 PM
spex
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just checked the relay connections. Pulled the relay about 1/2 out and checked continuity on the relay pins to the backside of the socket (where the connectors are). All checked out. Guess I need to start checking the wires from the temp sensor backwards. Maybe there is a break. Doubt it, but will check.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by spex
Just checked the relay connections. Pulled the relay about 1/2 out and checked continuity on the relay pins to the backside of the socket (where the connectors are). All checked out. Guess I need to start checking the wires from the temp sensor backwards. Maybe there is a break. Doubt it, but will check.
You've done all I would do, more actually since I know next to nothing about wiring. In fact my motto around wiring is "don't touch that!"

The check engine light is off and there are no pending error codes?

I'm at a loss.

If there were say a P1671 this can arise from an open circuit, break in the wiring; relay faulty; ECM (engine control module) faulty.

Or there can can be a short to ground or a short to positive.

But for the fan to not work when from your testing the fan works and you have eliminated a bad relay... I would have to guess there's a problem with ECM its output/control to the relay/fan is bad.

My reference gives some electrical tests to check the relay; or to check the wiring from the ECM to the relay; or to check the wiring from the ECM to the relay for a ground short; or to check the wiring from the ECM to the relay for a short to positive.

Too much to type in. Send me a PM and I'll make a PDF of the 2 pages and email the PDF to you.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Engine Blower Fan Boxster