Sponsored by:

Boxster S Flywheel Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 07:11 PM
rjbrennanjr
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster S Flywheel Test

I'm in the middle of an IMS replacement, and trying to figure out if I have a good flywheel, or one that needs replacement. The Porsche test I got from the dealer says that you should be able to move the flywheel hub independently of the contact face by 15mm, and it should return to it's original orientation.

I can't find anything that tells me where the 15mm is measured. Is it at the hub, or at the edge of the flywheel?

My flywheel moves around 5mm before it gets to a very stiff-feeling springy region. In that 5mm it doesn't return to the previous position, it simply stays there. Beyond the 5mm it returns when you let go of it.

The pictures below show that 5mm movement.

Do I have a good or bad flywheel?
Attached Images   
Old 04-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Deleted.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:39 PM
rjbrennanjr
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to forums. I guess I did something wrong. What does "deleted"mean? I'm just trying to get an answer to a simple question.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:32 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Nothing I know of. Mac?
Old 04-28-2012, 07:26 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Probably Mac posted something and thought better of it, couldn't delete the message so edited in the word "deleted".

This message was also posted at http://forums.pelicanparts.com/boxst...heel-test.html

I post this link so someone browsing/searching here can see the answer to the original question.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by rjbrennanjr
I'm new to forums. I guess I did something wrong. What does "deleted"mean? I'm just trying to get an answer to a simple question.
You did nothing wrong!

Sorry, but I posted something that I thought was wrong and for some reason couldn't delete the response so had to resort to just deleting the text and some text is necessary to save the 'deleted' message so I put deleted in the body of the response.

(I have no authority to delete anyone's post anyhow and even if I did and I did delete a post I would certainly give an explanation at least by private email.)

What I was going to say -- and deleted -- was I watched a tech demo this procedure to me but I do not recall any of the important details, like how it is done.

It seems to me though the 15 degrees would be measured at the outer diameter of the flywheel or perhaps at the outer diameter of the friction surface of the flywheel.

But don't quote me.

IIRC this has been covered before with the test steps for checking the FW included.

In fact I think I posted something on this and it may have been what I learned (but have since forgotten) from the demo) but I can't recall for sure now.

I searched my references and found nothing specific though.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:54 PM
harryrcb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since no one has answered your question yet. your flywheel appears to be fine. most will not return completely to the original position but makes an attempt. if it does not move more than what you are showing you should be fine.

Quick Reply: Boxster S Flywheel Test