Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Loose! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 07:39 AM
Homeboy981
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Loose! HELP!

Hi All! I am a brand new member and owner after 50 years of waiting I decided there were only so many sunny days left…better get out there and enjoy them!

So I just picked up a 2002 Boxster S with 54k on the clock. While driving it home from CA to TX I noticed that my steering wheel is loose. You can pick up on the bottom or top of the wheel about an inch or so. It has not moved or loosened (nor do I feel comfortable in it getting worse-hence the post). The problem seems similar to the issue the 911 forum members describe. The fix for them is a 928 Steering Column Bearing from Pelican Parts that slides in to replace the plastic spacer that degrades over time. However, after speaking with Pelican, they had not heard of this issue in our beloved Boxsters and suggested I post the question to the brain trust here.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Is there an easier fix than replacing the entire steering column?

Thank you in advance for your help.

P.S. Love the car! Puts a 2-mile smile on my face every time I hear the engine fire up! Next best thing to a motorcycle acceleration and handling-wise…without the bugs in your teeth! he-he
Old 01-20-2012, 03:20 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Homeboy981
Hi All! I am a brand new member and owner after 50 years of waiting I decided there were only so many sunny days left…better get out there and enjoy them!

So I just picked up a 2002 Boxster S with 54k on the clock. While driving it home from CA to TX I noticed that my steering wheel is loose. You can pick up on the bottom or top of the wheel about an inch or so. It has not moved or loosened (nor do I feel comfortable in it getting worse-hence the post). The problem seems similar to the issue the 911 forum members describe. The fix for them is a 928 Steering Column Bearing from Pelican Parts that slides in to replace the plastic spacer that degrades over time. However, after speaking with Pelican, they had not heard of this issue in our beloved Boxsters and suggested I post the question to the brain trust here.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Is there an easier fix than replacing the entire steering column?

Thank you in advance for your help.

P.S. Love the car! Puts a 2-mile smile on my face every time I hear the engine fire up! Next best thing to a motorcycle acceleration and handling-wise…without the bugs in your teeth! he-he
You sure the steering wheel adjustment lock is secure? There's lever/paddle like thing (sorry but I not words have a way with do) under the steering wheel that when unlocked allows some steering wheel adjustment.

If the there is an actual steering wheel bearing problem I have never heard/read about that. If the bearing is the problem and the bearing is available as a separate part I would think replacing the bearing would be the way to go vs. replacing the whole column.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:26 AM
Homeboy981
7th Gear

Hi Macster!
Thanks for my one and only comment. The problem occurs just on the steering wheel itself, like it is the lock nut. The lever for telescoping the wheel is secure, it is the wheel itself.

Hey Look! The last time I was asking you questions IT WAS ABOUT BUYING a BOXSTER….now I am a new, proud owner. Thank God, this car took me 50 years and was only a dream to buy. Now I am owning the dream…
Old 01-23-2012, 12:01 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Congrats on your new car.
My first thought was as Macster mentioned and that your problem is related to the telescoping function. Since you have ruled that out, my next suggestion would be to remove the airbag and investigate the nut connecting the wheel to the column. At that point you should be able to get a better idea of what is loose and go from there.

I can't recall hearing of any issue similar to yours so you may be encountering new territory.

Links to steering wheel removal:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ring_Wheel.htm

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...teering-wheel/

Note: In addition to the instructions in the links, you’ll also need your radio code to unlock your radio after reconnecting your battery and do not insert your key in ignition switch while the air bag is removed or you may get an airbag fault light that can only be turned off with a dealer computer or Durametric.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:40 PM
Homeboy981
7th Gear

Aron in Toronto - thanks for the tips. The information I was going to use was from Youtube and he said to leave the key in the ignition but I wondered IF it would generate a fault code...in fact my son and I bet on it! After further review of the tool chest, I am off to get a Torx set to remove the airbag and give it a "look-see" at that steering wheel bolt.

I am sure, from what I have and researched that it is the bolt at issue and may have been why PO gave up. Great deal for me....provided it is not the ENTIRE COLUMN!! Does not at like it. Seems localized to the bolt only. So I will be careful going to the store to pick up parts today....it is just hard to NOT drive now!!! Grrr! Got to get this fixed.

Thanks for the help. Great board. Great people and so far a great car!

Thanks again!
Old 01-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Homeboy981
7th Gear

Just an update:
PROBLEM SOLVED! It was VERY EASY. The steering wheel nut had come loose. Tightened back to spec and will keep an eye on it. Thanks to everyone who helped, especially the person who told me about the airbag warning light. That was certainly not anything I would have thought about., And had it not been for this forum...I would have been robbed! Maybe not of money, although that could easily be the case being a newbie to the Boxster-not a newbie to motorsports, but of time to get to spend on something I enjoy doing - however poorly I am equipped with knowledge of the vehicle. I now know where to find the answers for many more projects.

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP!

P.S. Already changed the cabin air filter, engine air filter and about to do the oil & filter. Will cut open the oil filter and see if there are bits. <hoping for the best>Have got jack stands and CV boots on order too.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Loose! HELP!