Sponsored by:

Boxster immobilizer problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:43 PM
jlm123
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster immobilizer problem

I have a 1998 Boxster, tiptronic. I'm the original owner. I am installing a new radio/DVD/gps unit. The project is not complete and maybe i shorted something which has led to my issue -- the car won't start. The starter does not engage although the battery is fully charged. Durametric returns fault 25 -- "w lead" present -- under the alarm module. I gather this reflects an immobilizer problem. One other data point -- I have one key and the internals were removed after becoming damaged, so there is no remote function; I lock the car with the key in the door lock cylinder, and the car starts ok despite the electronics removed from the key (that is, until now). Any ideas what could be wrong and how to fix? Am I at the mercy of a dealer? Thanks all.

Last edited by jlm123; 01-16-2012 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-16-2012, 10:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by jlm123
I have a 1998 Boxster, tiptronic. I'm the original owner. I am installing a new radio/DVD/gps unit. The project is not complete and maybe i shorted something which has led to my issue -- the car won't start. The starter does not engage although the battery is fully charged. Durametric returns fault 25 -- "w lead" present -- under the alarm module. I gather this reflects an immobilizer problem. One other data point -- I have one key and the internals were removed after becoming damaged, so there is no remote function; I lock the car with the key in the door lock cylinder, and the car starts ok despite the electronics removed from the key (that is, until now). Any ideas what could be wrong and how to fix? Am I at the mercy of a dealer? Thanks all.
The only bit of electronics in the key head that plays a role in the engine starting is the RFID pill, a small glass pill on the head of the key.

This must be energized by an RF transmssion from the dash RF transceiver and the RFID in turn must respond with a transmission of its own that includes its ID.

This ID RF transmission is received and decoded and if it matches one in the car's security system the engine is allowed to crank.

Last thing touched is the first thing suspect and I suspect during your radio/DVD/NAV installation you broke a wire, cut the wrong one, or tapped into the wrong one.

Thus you need to carefully review the installation or the changes/mods you've made up 'til now.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Boxster immobilizer problem