Sponsored by:

Engine Choice for 2003 Boxter

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 02:11 PM
jdcorbitt3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racer
Not sure what the prospects would be of selling your mod. I would think most modern Porsche buyers would prefer a Porsche motor (whether stock 2.7, an S or a 996 upgrade) vs a sbc or rotory swap.

Since you mention this is a "shared" car for a short term ownership, a used Boxster or 996 motor would be the best. 996's came with TIPS too. Infact, 300hp with a TIP can be quite nice.
I am sticking with the Porsche engine. A porsche purist would not be interested in a Porsche with a rotary engine in it, but a rotary enthusiest would. it would greatly reduce the number of potential buyers, but there would still be a market for them. Look at all the LS conversions, Mazda Miata, RX-7, RX-8, Honda S2000, Porsche 996. Not to mention all the track cars with them, Mosler MT900, Factory 5 and the like. That engine is one thing GM did a good job at.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:07 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

A rotary swap??? Every RX7 owner worth his salt can't wait to get rid of that twin-turbo nightmare and stuff an LSx in there! I can't imagine choosing to do the incredible amount of engineering and fabrication necessary to fit a Mazda rotary and gearbox into a mid-engined Porsche, and then wind up with... a Mazda rotary and gearbox in a Porsche!

Mind you, I'm a big Mazda sportscar fan (have owned many), but that's just the morphine talkin'.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:21 AM
ChrisJP
Intermediate

I once considered the RX8 because of the rotary engine.
This is really a jewel when looking at it from engineering perspective (but may be not from a mechanical point of view).
Too bad honestly.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:04 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

The theory is good -- the execution leaves much to be desired in my experience.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:35 PM
jdcorbitt3
Rennlist Member

I have over 700,000 miles driving rotaries, including an ITS RX-7. Some of my cars had 200,000 miles on them when I sold them. I never had an engine fail. One of them, an 89 convertible, had 173,000 miles on it when I decided to restore the car. I went ahead and had the engine ovhauled. The engine builder offered to put new bearings in or leave my originals in since they were broke in. We decided to keep the originals. I am not saying they are the greatest, in fact they can be temperamental. The turbo ones required cool down, and the RX-8 need high rpm and throttle to avoid carbon buildup. If you don't, carbon builds up and can cause apex seals to stick and slam into the rotor housing, cracking the seal. This has been known to cause engine failures.

Measuring the engine compartment, there is plenty of room for a 13b, but a 20b would be a tight fit.

We are going to rebuild the boxter engine. I started a new thread that I will post on as we figure what actually failed in the engine.

Quick Reply: Engine Choice for 2003 Boxter