Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to sell my modded 01 Standard?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 11:51 AM
racerxlilbro
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to sell my modded 01 Standard?

Hi all,

I've got a 2001 Boxster with only about 43k miles on it that I want to sell. Actually, I don't "want" to sell it, but it's time to thin the herd, as 5 cars is a bit much.

It's got Moda 19" wheels with Yokohamas on it, Bilstein PSS9s, a Brey Krause rollbar extender, and a factory hardtop, as well as the original 17" wheels with fairly new Sumitomo tires.

What's been the most effective way to sell a car that isn't totally stock?

TIA!

Brad
Old 10-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by racerxlilbro
Hi all,

I've got a 2001 Boxster with only about 43k miles on it that I want to sell. Actually, I don't "want" to sell it, but it's time to thin the herd, as 5 cars is a bit much.

It's got Moda 19" wheels with Yokohamas on it, Bilstein PSS9s, a Brey Krause rollbar extender, and a factory hardtop, as well as the original 17" wheels with fairly new Sumitomo tires.

What's been the most effective way to sell a car that isn't totally stock?

TIA!

Brad
Focus on the car's overall good condition, its regular servicing, lack of accident damage repairs. Focus on the car's miles.

List the car's options and of course exterior and interior colors.

Take lots of high res pics from the front, sides, rear, 3/4 view, each brake/wheel/tire, inside shots of the cabin, front and rear trunks.

For instance, I like the front pic to show the A/C condensors so that I can see they're the same color, same patina, which helps reduce the likelihood the car's had any front end damage. I can also see how clean the ducts are which gives me a clue to how well the car was taken care of.

Be sure all keys are accounted for, owners manuals, and intact spare tire, tool kit. A nice stack of servicing/repair receipts is nice. It can help show the miles are real and you've taken good care of the car. I like to see little things taken care of as well as the big things. It tells me the owner cared about the car.

List the mods. Or undo them and sell the parts separately.

If the car has been tracked list that but stress the car received more agressive/frequent servicing of its vital fluids, if it did of course...If it didn't, well, I have stressed that those that track their car need to do this to help reduce possible accelerated wear and tear while the car is being used and then to alleviate concerns from a used car buyer when it comes time to sell the car on.

Sell the car on its positives and consider the mods positives but downplay them. If a buyer is turned on by the mods you'll know it. Most buyers will be turned off or at best neutral on the mods.

Have any problems taken care of, and make sure servicing is current. The idea is you can stress the new owner will not need to have the car serviced for a year or so after he buys the car because all servicing is up to date.

Oh, detail the heck out of the car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:25 AM
racerxlilbro
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Macster!

Price-wise, I'm thinking this car ought to fetch somewhere in the mid-sixteens. You think that's reasonable?
Old 10-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by racerxlilbro
Thanks, Macster!

Price-wise, I'm thinking this car ought to fetch somewhere in the mid-sixteens. You think that's reasonable?
Sorry, but I'm not current on used Boxster prices.

My best advice is to research used cars seeing what's out there and what prices are being asked and how your car compares in terms of color, options, miles, condition, etc.

Visit www.kbb.com and www.nada.com (and there are other similar sites) and plug in the numbers and see what trade-in, private sale, and retail sale price numbers come up.

Then set a price for your car accordingly.

Be ready to be able to justify the price by stressing your car's positives compared to the other cars on the market.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:18 PM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mid 16s for that car is appropriate - if you find the right buyer then they'll be interested in the modifications.

just don't think they increase the value of your car, they actually decrease it.

best price (most realistic) is KBB private party, good condition - that's what you should expect to get for the car.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:22 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

I think that price is optimistic at this time of year.

And many looking at the car will look at the mods and think "track wear" and shy away. So the market is limited by the mods and you are searching for the few who value them.

So figure out how much you want to move the car and price accordingly. Even consider selling some of the mods separately if that will expand your car-sale buyers and/or get you more $.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:47 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a track biased prepared car (wheels, PSS9, Rollbar extender), so market it to the track audience (pelican, here, CL, wherever).

Given the total # of boxsters built, consider NADA and KBB as a guide for pricing. For fun, go see what a dealer will offer in trade for it. imho, $16K might be a hard get. Hardtop (to me) is a plus, but maybe not in Cali where 4 season top down driving is possible.

Unless you kept the stock components (suspension, wheels) you will need to sell it as is. Take some killer pics.. get it detailed (nothing annoys me more than seeing a car for sale with pics showing it full of crap).

Don't be fixated on price. If the market doesn't warrant what you want, consider thinning your herd by selling something else.

Quick Reply: Best way to sell my modded 01 Standard?