Sponsored by:

need cupholders badly....

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 11:24 AM
recycled sixties
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need cupholders badly....

As winter is coming and need hot coffee to keep body and soul going, can anybody out there recommend a cupholder model for my 2001 Boxster? I prefer the ones that hook on the air.cond./vent outlets next to the door. Is there a warning that some of these cupholders may not fit the vents? Any comments on the models available, the make and name of trustworthy distributors online?
Guy
Old 10-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Harvey in FL
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The Ultimate Cup Holder was the best with my 986 Boxster. I have since moved to a 997 and the company does not make their holders to fit the new 997's. I bought a vent holder for the 997 and they are bad news.

http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/

Last edited by Harvey in FL; 10-07-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Silver Box
Advanced

I have these for my '99. Pretty flimsy overall. I never leave them attached. Easy to mess up all the flaps in the vents putting on/off. That becomes another ugly project. Really wouldn't recommend them.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//clipon.html
Old 10-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Fly911
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

What is the American's obsession with cup holders? You are behind the wheel of a SPORTS CAR, not in the back seat of a limo...!!! Any Porsche is an instrument for serious driving and not a tea party! You should have both hands on the wheel and pay 100% attention to the driving, and drink you coffee at home or in the office!!!
Old 10-07-2011, 01:50 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Fly911
What is the American's obsession with cup holders? You are behind the wheel of a SPORTS CAR, not in the back seat of a limo...!!! Any Porsche is an instrument for serious driving and not a tea party! You should have both hands on the wheel and pay 100% attention to the driving, and drink you coffee at home or in the office!!!
Maybe on the weekends, but the rest of the time, it's a daily driver and there's nothing wrong with treating it like one. Especially considering Porsche's niche as a luxury sports car.
The following users liked this post:
TassieMotormouth (05-18-2022)
Old 10-07-2011, 02:50 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fly911
Because the speed limit is 65?
Old 10-07-2011, 07:27 PM
recycled sixties
Advanced

Well this is interesting. Any other ideas then for a cupholder besides the ultimate cup holder and not drinking coffee? What about an insert into the central locking glove compartment? I can see this is a hot button issue and owners have definite opinions. What about when u are on the track and racing, dont u hydrate and where do you put your water when racing?
Cheers,
Guy.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:31 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Here's an option you may not have considered. Lets you drink hands-free, too!

Name:  6K6kr.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  30.8 KB
Old 10-07-2011, 11:05 PM
EPWilson
Advanced

Originally Posted by Harvey in FL
The Ultimate Cup Holder was the best with my 986 Boxster. I have since moved to a 997 and the company does not make their holders to fit the new 997's. I bought a vent holder for the 997 and they are bad news.

http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/
+1. Just get these and be done with it.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:51 PM
bar10dah
Track Day

I installed the 'cupholder retrofit kit' two weekends ago and love being able to put soda cans in it. However, doubt it'll hold a coffee tumbler. First, they're usuallly larger in diameter than a soda can. Second, they're usually taller, and more top heavy, and this cupholder may not hold it very well. Don't want anything to spill from this location, as your climate control unit and radio are right underneath!
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...pg3.htm#item13

I also bought the one that fits in the center console. Holds coffee tumblers well. Even with handles. However, can be awkward trying to reach for it. Plus, the lid keeps closing on top of the tumbler, so have to try to keep one hand on the wheel why simultaneously trying to open the lid and pull the coffee tumbler out. Then, gotta do it all again when trying to pu the tumbler back in.
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product..._Code=POTEBXSS

I wasn't aware of the cupholder listed in the previous post, however would have considered that one too. Looks sturdy, holds a variety of sizes (including handles), and is low (keeps spills from affecting anything other than the floor). Does anyone have an issue with your leg hitting it or wanting to rest on it?
Old 10-12-2011, 11:38 AM
aowolf
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

This might be below some Porsche drivers, but if you go to Walmart you can get a plastic cup holder that slides between the seat and the console, with a few felt pads you won't have to worry about harming the interior of your car. $6 problem solved for me (also it just pulls right out and can be hidden)*
Old 10-12-2011, 11:55 AM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the ultimatecupholder in my 987. it works great
Old 10-12-2011, 12:16 PM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I knew someone would chime in and rant about how it doesn't need cupholders.

Porsche added them for 03 I believe - other than that I'm told the "ultimate cup holder" is fine.

I can't imagine you'd need on in a 987 - if a late 986 has cupholders I'm positive a 987 would have them too.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:23 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

02 was the first year 986s got cupholders; I can't recall if the style changed in 03 or 04, but the 04 has a lower profile pop-out than 02s do.

People might mock, but little things like the radio and cupholders DO matter; we do have choices in what we drive, and lousy daily driveability was what drove me away from an S2000.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:08 PM
lilredpo
Pro

Thumbs up

I did my own version of the ultimate. By looking at the ultimate, I thought it needed support at the bottom as well. So I got an inexpensive cup holder and added a bracket to go under the console (like the ultimate), but I also continued it down and out under the mat. It is easy to take in and out and is very stable. Sorry about the picture quality, they are from a phone.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: need cupholders badly....