Sponsored by:

New User purchasing first Porsche Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 03:11 PM
rapowell7
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New User purchasing first Porsche Boxster

I am considering purchasing a '98 Boxster from a good friend. It has 94K, has had 90K service done, and the car is immaculate inside and out. All maint. done by dealer, garaged it's whole life.
I have had and indep. PPI done buy my Porsche/Audi Mech. (had Audi A4). His only neg. comment was a faint transmission sound when in 4-5th gears. I also noticed faint cyclical noise when steering to the left around corners in 3-4th gears.
Any comments on impending repairing issues, or general Boxster purchasing help would be greatly appreciated. She is asking well below KBB for the car.
Attached Images  
Old 09-29-2011, 03:37 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please take the time to do an internet search for certain boxster issues. Someone will post a more thorough list but

1) M96 engine
2) Coolant tank
3) Engine Mounts
4) Ignition Switch

all come to mind.

Thumb through the boards here and else where and look at the topics raised.

Take ALL of this with a grain of salt, since very few posters come out everyday and say WHY THEY LOVE their car.. but everyone who ever experiences ANY issue will claim they are all horrible

Does it have any features you want? Is this a deal that is just falling into your lap or have you always wanted a boxster?

I enjoyed mine.. Fun, Fast, lots of trunk space.. Wished it had heated seats.. but couldn't live with potential uncertainties so I sold it.

you might even ask why she is asking "well below kbb" value too.

With any used car, buy the "best one you can" and in this day and age, be sure to have a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection) performed to help you learn what might be wrong (or right) with the car.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:43 PM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

all cars have their issues - at below KBB value you should have plenty to fix any issues that pop up.

I'm on my second Boxster and all I can say is that I love them.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:36 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Asking below KBB for the car? Why? And why would you as a good friend take advantage (so to speak) of your friendship and pay below KBB for the car?

Up to you but I make it a point to never buy cars from or sell cars to family or friends.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: New User purchasing first Porsche Boxster