Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 08:56 AM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost 1st, 3rd, 5th, & Reverse

Hey guys,

**An Update**
I tried the shifter with the car off and I can definitely hear the linkages working and sending the all gears home at the transmission. I'm missing 3rd 100% while driving and 1st works probably 70% of the times I try to select it.

To start, I'll be checking my linkages at the transmission tonight after work as well as the plastic connector at my shifter. Hopefully I'll find my problem, but I wanted to post here to bounce some ideas around before I dig into it tonight.

Here's the rub.
1. I was driving to work today and had no problems. All shifter gates crisp.
2. Came to a stop light, and 1st, 3rd, 5th instantly felt like a wet noodle. But they worked. There was no pop, crunch, or snap sound when this started happening.
3. Next stop light, 1st, 3rd, & 5th still feel like a wet noodle and the car now revs freely in these gears. 2nd, 4th, 6th are still crisp and working fine.
4. Get to work and check reverse. Also not working so I shut the car off.
5. Restart the car and 1st, 3rd, 5th, & reverse work now. Still not feeling super crisp. They stop working mid drive tooling around the parking lot.
6. I then noticed when I give it some gas in neutral, everything sounds normal. If I give it some gas in neutral with the clutch depressed, I hear a small woosh of air pressure being released so I'll check the slave cylinder as well. My brake fluid reservior is at it's normal level. Not leaking any brake fluid from my clutch line either.

Thanks in advance for taking a look guys.

Cheers,

Last edited by Phi1720; 09-22-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:28 AM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

definitely sounds like a linkage issue.

since IMO the linkage at the transmission is easiest to access, check it first. check that both cables are securely fastened to the actuation levers. also check the coupling of the levers at the transmission shift rod itself. it sticks straight off the back of the tranny. it's possible that the set screw backed off a bit & the rod isn't rotating when you move the shift lever. FYI, the rod pushes/pulls AND rotates. the push/pull equates to the fore/aft motion of the shifter. the rotation selects the shift gate (i.e. 1st/2nd, 3rd/4th, 5th/rev). your issue would be with the rotation.

if everything looks good there, it sounds like you're losing one of the plastic cable couplers at the shifter itself. you'd have to remove the center console to access. if you need to replace the coupler, use a billet version like this: http://www.vertexauto.com/showitem.a...20By%20Schnell
Old 09-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the tips. It was the linkage retaining clip at the transmission as expected. Working great now!
Old 09-23-2011, 10:23 AM
Dale_K
Track Day

You should buy a lottery ticket. Glad it worked out for you.

Quick Reply: Lost 1st, 3rd, 5th, & Reverse