Sponsored by:

Clicking noise while warming up

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 04:27 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Clicking noise while warming up

I started my 03 986S a couple of days ago. I have not driven it in a couple of months. I have it stored, with car cover and battery maintainer. When I started it up it started up fine but was making a clicking sound while idling. I got it to operating temp, it was still making the sound. It started raining heavily so I did not drive it but turned it off. It only has 8500 miles, and I've never had any problems with it. This is the longest It has gone without being driven. What could the sound be?
Old 09-19-2011, 03:48 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
I started my 03 986S a couple of days ago. I have not driven it in a couple of months. I have it stored, with car cover and battery maintainer. When I started it up it started up fine but was making a clicking sound while idling. I got it to operating temp, it was still making the sound. It started raining heavily so I did not drive it but turned it off. It only has 8500 miles, and I've never had any problems with it. This is the longest It has gone without being driven. What could the sound be?
Probably one or more zero lash adjusters have bled down from the engine sitting unused for so long. I assume the oil is the right oil and doesn't have too many miles on it (hopefully the oil's been changed at least every year even though you have put only 8500 miles on the car) and the oil level is right, not too low but not too full either.

Usually the zero lash lifters pump up pretty quick (they are exposed to full oil pressure -- 60+ psi upon cold start) but various factors can cause some delay in them pumping up.

Plus there's the possibilty the ball check valve is not sealing/seating properly and the lifter while it gets full oil pressure can't retain this. This may get better on its own but it may not.

If the engine is otherwise behaving ok and making no scary noises about all you can do is start the engine let it warm up some then raise the rpms to say 1.5 to 2K rpms and hold the rpms there for a few moments then let the rpms drop to idle. I'd like to hear the noise improving/diminishing after doing this to the 1st time. If it did I'd repeat. If not...

If you want once the engine is a bit warmer you raise the rpms higher, say 2.5K to possibly 3K rpms.

But if the noise still persists, if there's no improvement, then I would recommend instead you take the car -- flat bed it to be safe -- to a qualified pro and get his professional input.

You can also do that rather than make any attempt on your own to 'fix' this noise symptom.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Clicking noise while warming up