Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Care To Share Their Experience With NHP EXhaust For Boxster S?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 01:17 PM
vrusso
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Care To Share Their Experience With NHP EXhaust For Boxster S?

I recently purchased a 2002 Boxster S and have been looking for a used cat-back free flow exhaust. I came across a used NHP V1 exhaust from Maxspeed in Canada. I used search function but got very few results-anyone have experience with this exhaust? Any forum member comments re: sound fit, finish, ease of installation, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!
Old 09-12-2011, 12:18 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sport 2 owner ...

I love mine!!! You know it's a Porsche ... especially in tunnels or where the sound echos ...

A few have said it sounds close to what a GT3 sounds like when the happy pedal is pressed. I did notice that the car is noticable peppier than before . There is no drone that others have and seems to be close to stock sound when taking it easy ... I have not been doing this too much lately ...

Otheres who I have taken out love the sound as well not bothersome ... they were impressed when I was cruising, remrked when I accellerated.

I am not disapointed with this purchase and would do it again. The fit was good and easy (friends shop installed it) and they were impressed with it as well. Not one to attract attention ... just a nice growl under "load".
Old 09-12-2011, 06:36 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vrusso
I recently purchased a 2002 Boxster S and have been looking for a used cat-back free flow exhaust. I came across a used NHP V1 exhaust from Maxspeed in Canada. I used search function but got very few results-anyone have experience with this exhaust? Any forum member comments re: sound fit, finish, ease of installation, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!
This will be a bit self-serving, but also accurate. We have a M&M Exhaust (imported by FVD) for the Boxster. We had two cars for PCA/Grand Am. These are without cats, and have race headers. We also have a silencer pipe additionally which you can put on/take off in about 30minutes for when you want more quiet.

These generated about 13HP more than a set of Fabspeed race pipes. We tested about 4 headers and exhaust systems for our 2011 grand am efforts in the boxster and found these the very strongest. I have the dyno report Id be happy to email you.

I think they were about 5900, not cheap, for the headers an dpipes, another $1k for the silencer pipes. i think the team was asking $3500 for them used.

M&M makes headers for some of the best factory teams in the world. They are far more oriented for performance than show.

if interested, PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:01 AM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i only have the mufflers and love the sound, but the tips sit too close together and rattle together when cold (at first i thought it was pressure plate rivets coming out). so far, adjusting them doesn't seem to work, they just migrate back together again.

still working on it...
Old 09-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Fly911
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

WOW, $5,900 for a set of headers and pipes, and 13Hp gain! That's $450 per Hp! My entire Boxster is probaly not worth much more than those headers, so I went on eBay and bought a set of headers and muffler that kind of match the value of my car. I paid around $400 incluiding shipping for everything. Maybe not FVD quality, but what the heck... The increase (or mabe decrease) of horsepower is so marginal, that I don't care about that, it's more the sound that matters. The 986 Boxster is way too quiet, and I'm sure my butt dyno will notice a 100Hp increase with the new exhaust!!!
Old 09-14-2011, 11:21 PM
artster
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the rattles over time. I have the muffler only. I found the bracket that joins the two tips would fracture, even after re-welding it (two times). I finally fixed it by replacing the tips and welding a 1/4" rod across the two pipes leading to the tips. Other than that it sounds great with hardly any drone.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:41 AM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by artster
I found the bracket that joins the two tips would fracture, even after re-welding it (two times).
edit...

ah, i never noticed the [now missing] bar welding between the tips. just went and looked... two broken welds, no bar. only had an upper bar, mine didn't have a lower bar like the pics show. i can see that the weld didn't really get much penetration into the pipes.

off to the muffler shop i go...

Quick Reply: Anyone Care To Share Their Experience With NHP EXhaust For Boxster S?