Sponsored by:

2000 Boxter | Window Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:37 AM
trickymoreira
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 2000 Boxter | Window Slipping

Hey guys, I have a 2000 Porsche Boxter and I'm finding that the passenger side window isn't pulling down an inch when lifting the door handle half way. The result: the window slightly banging against the roof when opening or closing the door.

The actual mechanics works but the window clasps seems a bit loose. If I open the door I can literally push the window down half an inch and it will work fine to close
1. Easy to fix on my own? If not...
2. Know a good place that will do this at a reasonable rate in Toronto?

Thank you!

Tricky
Old 08-23-2011, 09:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by trickymoreira
Hey guys, I have a 2000 Porsche Boxter and I'm finding that the passenger side window isn't pulling down an inch when lifting the door handle half way. The result: the window slightly banging against the roof when opening or closing the door.

The actual mechanics works but the window clasps seems a bit loose. If I open the door I can literally push the window down half an inch and it will work fine to close
1. Easy to fix on my own? If not...
2. Know a good place that will do this at a reasonable rate in Toronto?

Thank you!

Tricky
Not a symptom I'm familiar with.

I've never tried to push the window down without using the down button. (The few times I've done this was to free up a window that was frozen in place and would not lower when the door was opened due to ice.)

Thus 'bout all I could recommend you do would be to remove the door panel and examine the window hardware and see if there's anything loose/broken that you can fix/replace on your own.

Getting into the door innards is not that much labor, well, I guess I should add for someone with the experience.

The one time I had to have this done on my Boxster -- by a Porsche tech at dealership -- I don't think the labor came to 1 hour and this included diagnostics (which helped id the failing part) and the labor to remove the bad part (the door lock assembly) and replace it with a new one. Now the door lock assembly was expensive, relatively speaking, going for around $400.

But the tech had done this uncounted times before. I couldn't be there to watch him do my car's door, but I watched him do a GT3 and it does take some knowledge of how to go about the task quickly and efficiently and without damaging interior pieces.

If you do not want to tackle this on your own, my advice would be to get a quote from a local Porsche dealer service department. I do not know of any indy shops in your area to recommend.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:37 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutor...microswitches/

Microswitch.

Could also be regulator or motor.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:36 PM
trickymoreira
AutoX

Thanks so much guys, I read that it may be the regulator as well, someone in another forum said that if you could "push the window" down the inch after opening the door, it's most probably the regulator. Ugh.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Ray H
Addict
Rennlist Member

You probably have taken care of this by now. I have had this happen to both sides about a year apart Both required new regulators
Old 09-06-2011, 11:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray H
You probably have taken care of this by now. I have had this happen to both sides about a year apart Both required new regulators
Just had a similar symptom appear at my driver's door. Open the door from the outside and window dips, then open door and release the door handle and the window raises. 'course if one doesn't notice this when the door gets closed the top of the window hits the top rail with a noise that always has me expecting a shower of (safety) glass shrapnel.

There's a microswitch in the door latch that when the door is opened this switch is closed which prevents the window from raising when the door handle is released. Tech demo'd the behavior to me today.

Anyhow I received an email that the driver's side door latch is kaput. $354 parts/labor to replace. If parts arrive in time Wed. car should be done Wed. evening.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:54 AM
trickymoreira
AutoX

I see, that may be my issue - the clanking glass against the top rail is a definite shocker... I too anticipate a smash. I've not gone in yet as it is on the passenger side, my temp fix is to initially open the door with the key (instead of remote) hold it to the right (which in itself lowers the window before a passenger gets in). Haven't made it into the shop just yet!

Quick Reply: 2000 Boxter | Window Slipping